"Black Cherry" update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Time to do a little update on my "Black Cherry."

I got this little fellow in September of 2010 from Terry Kilgore. He is unusual in that there is almost NO red on this Cherryhead. He has a little red nose, a couple of red scales on his head, two tiny red scales on the heel of both back feet, and a single red scale on each of his front legs. The scute centers that are usually bright yellow or orange on Cherryhead hatchlings are dark, almost solid black.

At a year and a half old, he is 4 12/16" long and weighs 326.4 grams. He started out VERY tiny, less than 2". You can see his newborn pictures in Terry's thread, here - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Lil-RUNT-Cherryhead#axzz1jqOWqMJu

One of the questions both Terry and myself have been wondering about was if he was going to develop marbling. Just in the last week, I am finally seeing signs of it.

It is hard to pick out, but there is a TINY bit of white in two spots between the second and third vertabral scutes and the pleurals.

DSCF7986.jpg

DSCF7987.jpg

And a little on the plastron seams as well.

DSCF7988.jpg

Oh and.... He is still growing smooth ;)

Redfoot NERD said:

* off topic *
Kristina how do you keep plastron 'fungus' in check? Also ( even tho' there is ground cover ) that seems like a lot of light even for the "Brazilian" .carbonaria -- what size is that aquarium? Would you start a "BlackCherry" UPDATE [ w/pics ] thread please? * off topic *

The picture/enclosure Terry is asking about is this one -

KristinasPictures4002.jpg

That is the tank that I kept this fellow in for the first 8 months or so. After that, he spent the summer outside, and got a new enclosure this fall. The enclosure pictured was only a 20 gallon, and he outgrew it. He currently resides in a 27 gallon long, which is 36" X 14" X 12".

As far as lighting, I don't really feel that it was all that bright, and I never had any issues with him wanting to hide or escape the light. It looks a lot brighter in the picture than I remember it being in real life. In the current enclosure (which I do not have a current picture of) there is one light only, and the rest of the lighting is actually ambient light that spills over from Dee, Dusty, and Devon's enclosure (my three baby Sullies from Tom.)

Fungus - I have never had a case of it. Whether it is my choice of substrate or some other factor, I am unsure. I will share that my babies all get cleaned in plain water and with a soft toothbrush at least once weekly. I do this for a couple of reasons. First off, they walk through their food. I scrub them to make sure there isn't anything stuck to them, potentially rotting, that could cause sores or even deformities.

The second reason is this -

DSCF7981.jpg

I'll share that story in another thread :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Kristina---absolutely fantastic! The tortoise is quite unusual and very, very neat looking. I would be willing to bet that in time he will be mostly solid black but will retain the small red 'inner elbow' scutes. Otherwise, he will continue to darken as he (she) ages.
As for the marbling you are seeing, almost all cherryheads develop a little marbling at this point in their lives but it is usually inconsequential and will most likely turn black in pretty short order--especially if the animal is kept outside. If he was going to be really marbled it would have appeared already. For me though, a solid black red-footed tortoise is way more interesting than than one with an average amount of red.
It is pretty clear that the way you have raised him has been excellent and the terrarium you show is a great environment to start out in.
Darn nice job!

BTW...is that an old Meta-Frame aquarium?!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You betcha it is Carl, I have the whole set, the tank, stand, light fixture and lid. I am actually quite proud of it :)

Thanks for the praise, it is definitely appreciated!

I had to have this little guy from the minute I saw him. (I usually say "he" but I just have a feeling it may be female.) The dark coloration is so different. I know Terry has produced a few of these, but as far as I know this one is the darkest. I was actually hoping AGAINST the marbling. I want him to be as black as black can be :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Very interesting coloring on that cherryhead, it's beautiful! I'm guessing those mud-balls depicted last have been tromping around in a mud wallow? Mine didn't take to it, but I'm thinking this was setup error. Would love to hear (and see) how you got those muddy torts and how to get mine the same way!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I do need to do a post on how I set up my "mud wallows." I'll snap some pics tonight and see what I can do about rectifying that tomorrow ;)

I posted another thread on the story of the mud balls, lol :D

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Kristina said:
You betcha it is Carl, I have the whole set, the tank, stand, light fixture and lid. I am actually quite proud of it :)

Thanks for the praise, it is definitely appreciated!

I had to have this little guy from the minute I saw him. (I usually say "he" but I just have a feeling it may be female.) The dark coloration is so different. I know Terry has produced a few of these, but as far as I know this one is the darkest. I was actually hoping AGAINST the marbling. I want him to be as black as black can be :)

Nice aquarium. Slate bottom no doubt?
What is the substrate of that terrarium? Looks like peat/sphagnum moss.
If you keep sphagnum moss and peat as a substrate the acidic qualities of these materials will help keep fungus in check. Of course, if you don't keep it clean fungus can still go nuts when it is really humid.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They look great, looks like they are growing well and smooth.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
second and third vertabral scutes and the pleurals.

Kristina this is the second time I've heard this term - pleurals - is this a new one because I don't see it or haven't heard it anywhere else! Where did that term come from and where are they???

That guy has grown "fast" in comparison to his younger siblings - great job - Update thread on them coming soon...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Looking good Miss 'K"....love the dark cherrys , as I have an adult gal' who laid this season a few times , and eggs a cookng ' now! Excited to see how gene line follows suit. Great looking lil ' tort , thanks for sharing the update~ :)

JD~:shy:

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
cdmay said:
Nice aquarium. Slate bottom no doubt?
What is the substrate of that terrarium? Looks like peat/sphagnum moss.
If you keep sphagnum moss and peat as a substrate the acidic qualities of these materials will help keep fungus in check. Of course, if you don't keep it clean fungus can still go nuts when it is really humid.

Yup, slate bottom :)

Substrate is organic humus with a layer of Mosser Lee sphagnum moss on the top. I tried peat years ago, and wasn't thrilled with it. To be honest, I hated it, lol.

Redfoot NERD said:
second and third vertabral scutes and the pleurals.

Kristina this is the second time I've heard this term - pleurals - is this a new one because I don't see it or haven't heard it anywhere else! Where did that term come from and where are they???

That guy has grown "fast" in comparison to his younger siblings - great job - Update thread on them coming soon...

I don't think it is new. Typically, we call the scutes by "vertabral," "coastal," "marginals," and "nuchal," but as far as I am aware, the actual "scientific" terms are neurals, pleurals, peripherals, and proneural, in that same order. So pleural scutes would be another term for coastal scutes.

He is growing very well, healthy and solid as a rock. I can't wait to see updates on the others :)

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Kristina said:
I don't think it is new. Typically, we call the scutes by "vertabral," "coastal," "marginals," and "nuchal," but as far as I am aware, the actual "scientific" terms are neurals, pleurals, peripherals, and proneural, in that same order. So pleural scutes would be another term for coastal scutes.

Correct.

Cloud 9

5 Year Member
So. Cal.
@_@ , is it weird that the color on the tort sorta reminded me of dark chocolate and vanilla? just kidding :).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
cdmay said:
Kristina said:

Correct.

It sort of depends on who you are talking to as well. For example, this chart shows a different naming system- http://people.biology.ufl.edu/sahilber/VertZooLab2007/Vert Zoo Images/Lab 6/Turtle_Shell-030.jpg

Wikipedia also refers to the actual bones- spine and ribs- as the neurals, pleurals, and peripherals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_shell ) Obst's 'Turtles, Tortoises, and Terrapins" use a slightly different method... Centuries of research in dozens of countries studying a very unique structure and it is not really surprising that there is some variation.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Madkins007 said:
cdmay said:
Kristina said:

Correct.

It sort of depends on who you are talking to as well. For example, this chart shows a different naming system- http://people.biology.ufl.edu/sahilber/VertZooLab2007/Vert Zoo Images/Lab 6/Turtle_Shell-030.jpg

Wikipedia also refers to the actual bones- spine and ribs- as the neurals, pleurals, and peripherals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_shell ) Obst's 'Turtles, Tortoises, and Terrapins" use a slightly different method... Centuries of research in dozens of countries studying a very unique structure and it is not really surprising that there is some variation.

Yep...I should have checked my response a little better. Although I have heard the term 'proneural' used for the nuchal scute before, cervical is actually more accurate and widely accepted.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
You guys are nerds. Ha!

Kristina, That might possibly be the prettiest Redfoot I have ever seen. And I agree with you, I hope "he" stays that dark with age. Truly unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.