Black dots

Ashley99

Location (City and/or State)
Keyworth United Kingdom
I have just looked at my tortoise and have noticed black dots on the shell and I didn't know if this is normal or is there somthing wrong my tortoise is 6 month old

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 34

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I can't see any black dots but I can see less than ideal substrate. You might want to change those pellets for something a little easier to walk on. There's lots of options, have a look around the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Ashley99

Keyworth United Kingdom
Thank if you look at in the middle of his back where he has the that line of colour shapes it's round there and the guy at the pet shop said that this substrate was fine for them I did originally have wood chip but the pet shop guy said that the tort might eat them by mistake and get problems

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Thank if you look at in the middle of his back where he has the that line of colour shapes it's round there and the guy at the pet shop said that this substrate was fine for them I did originally have wood chip but the pet shop guy said that the tort might eat them by mistake and get problems

Sorry, but the shell looks perfectly fine to me. Don't trust pet shop people, they probably mean well but usually don't know what they're talking about.
Russians like to dig and burrow so it's a good idea to get something that allows that. I will let Russian keepers advise you on their favourite substrates but dirt/cypress mulch/fine coconut coir are all good options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might be a bruise. Hard to tell from the picture. If it isn't something you can wash off by scrubbing with a soft bristle brush, then it may be a bruise. It will be ok and will go away eventually with no intervention by you.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
All too often the pet shop is where the worst advice comes from. They aren't reliable.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Bad substrate! Don;t see any dots, but your looks to have some pyramiding, probably from that dry dry bedding.