Black pigmentation on ivory sulcata hatchling?

Brit G

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I'm almost ready to buy my first tortoise. It'll be an ivory sulcata from richard rife.

I have my pick from any of the hatchlings in this photo:

Screenshot_2018-07-26-15-41-59.png

The one I like the most is the one on the bottom right. However, it has a speck of black pigmentation that has me worried. Anyone seen an ivory with a dark mark like that? Or, does it look like a disease of some sort to you guys?

The yellow on the top left is also gorgeous, but im searching for the palest one I am able to get.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I don’t see it??? It looks like all 3 on the bottom have the same dark scute.. almost like a shadow... can I just say I’m really jealous though.. they are all gorgeous!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
They're ALL gorgeous and you will be proud of whichever is the lucky one to go home with you!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I see it, but I don't know what it is. It could just be dirt. It's hard to tell from a photo. You can't really tell which one is the lightest because it could just look that way from the angle of the shot.

Brit G

Texas
I did lmao. I thought it was just coconut coir as well, until he pointed out that it is not, and is in fact some kind of dark pigmentation. Wanted to see it raised red flags for anyone who has had tortoises before; you guys are awesome, and I appreciate the input!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I wouldn't worry about the dark pigmentation, My first pick would be bottom left and second would be bottom right, (just going on their size) They all are beautiful and should do fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Richard doesn't use coco coir. Its probably a speck of dirt or substrate.