Black Rat Snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last Thursday 3 of my dogs were in the back yard barking, not their normal bark so I went to see what was wrong, In between the large turtle enclosure and Walker's house they had a young adult black rat snake cornered somewhat, it had just eaten what looked like it could have been a rabbit or a dove, anyway it wasn't able to move fast enough to get away so it was in the defensive position and putting on a good bluff.I bagged it and set it aside so it could digest it's meal. Saturday some people stopped by to see the turtles and tortoises, I was with them for a while looking at animals and plants, when they left I came into the kitchen, and somewhere off of me came a baby black snake, I don't know where it was but I carried it in the house somehow, I put it in a critter cage and gave it a drink, latter I thawed a very small mouse and offered it, and it ate,A few minutes ago a neighbor from across the street said he caught a big old black snake a little while ago and had it in a bag, I ask what he was going to do with it and he said, Kill It, I said, No I'll take it,So in the last 5 days I have acquired 3 more black snakes to go with the one I saved last summer,I haven't had this many black snakes at one time since I was about 15 years old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well...where are our pictures?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
emysemys said:
Well...where are our pictures?
The only pics I have taken so far are of the little hitchhiker,Didn't have time to get camera for the one the dogs were figuring out how to kill,(it would have made a good video)They don't like intruders, they have done in a groundhog and possums that strayed into their yard. Little dogs don't know they're little.And the last one I just got is still in the bag. Here's the little one.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He's cute. But I find the big ones to be very impressive. One of my daughters friends sent her a pic of a black rat snake that was curled up in a tree at her college campus. It was an extemely large one and was beautiful.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
LMAO I just released 8 yearlings today!!! See my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.