Bladder stone, how to help him pass it??

Mateya.sarne

Location (City and/or State)
Laramie
Hey all! I would really appreciate any help or advice!!!
Last I posted on here, Timmy was not able to poop. After a visit to the vet & an increase in fiber he did poop & his activity/appetite has increased! Yay!
Although, we have come across another problem. A few days after he pooped he passed two large urates, the biggest one was pea sized & stone hard. I kept a close eye the next week & he had only passed one smaller (but still hard) urate the day after he passed the 2 large ones. Since then (about 2 weeks ago) I have seen no urates but he is peeing! Obviously, this consistency of a urate is not good. I decided to get him an x-ray at the vet a week ago. The vet detected a bladder stone shown in the picture attached. Although, they did not give me much advice on what to do next. The stone appears small & I’d imagine he should be able to pass it on his own, so I’d like to do everything that could help him pass it before it gets bigger!
Since the poop scare I have adjusted his diet to a higher fiber diet with Timothy hay & the zoo med grassland pellets. Including the pellets & hay, I combine green leaf lettuce, dandelion & bok choy (all rotating daily). I soak all of his food before I feed to ensure he is getting water in his system. As well as continuing to soak him every day for a minimum of 30 minutes. Since I last posted I have also increased the humidity in his enclosure by using spagnum moss (hidden from him to eat). I have also added an additional basking light so his enclosure has a warm & cool side keeping ambient temperature of no lower than 80 F. He has full 24/7 access to clean drinking water. I’ve done research about bladder stones in tortoises & know that sulcatas are more prone to them. I also know that high oxalate foods are bad for one with a bladder stone. I’d like to know more types of foods I can feed him that are low in oxalates. As well as anything else I can do to help him pass it on his own! Is there anything I need to stop doing? Anything I should start or change?? I’m trying to avoid a surgical procedure but I do know if it gets too big that will be needed.
PLEASE HELP! It is all appreciated, even the constructive criticism.
I will also add, I brought a fecal sample to a lab yesterday to test the level of parasites which had come back normal.

Attachments

• C57F8860-9727-43D4-A634-6F08AA710943.png
    C57F8860-9727-43D4-A634-6F08AA710943.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 30

Walnut's_pet

Connecticut
Sorry to hear about the stone. Poor little man. While I'm a relatively new RT parent (few years), I've done a lot of research about diet and a common theme was often not to feed the pellet food. Also if hay is offered, dont give too much. Primary green recommendations (and there are lots of threads available online and here in TF) include collard greens, dandelion greens and turnip greens as staples. I use these as they are the easiest to find in the market and/or yard. As for what to do about the current stone, I will defer to long term tort parents to guide you 'in the ways'. Best of luck and hope Timmy feels better soon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Fiber, fiber and more fiber! Look up on Google what kinds of fiberous foods you can feed a tortoise, and feed him those types of fiberous foods. Also, until the stones pass, feed him lots of wet type foods too - cucumber, aloe, cactus, watermelon rinds

Mateya.sarne

Laramie
Sorry to hear about the stone. Poor little man. While I'm a relatively new RT parent (few years), I've done a lot of research about diet and a common theme was often not to feed the pellet food. Also if hay is offered, dont give too much. Primary green recommendations (and there are lots of threads available online and here in TF) include collard greens, dandelion greens and turnip greens as staples. I use these as they are the easiest to find in the market and/or yard. As for what to do about the current stone, I will defer to long term tort parents to guide you 'in the ways'. Best of luck and hope Timmy feels better soon.
Thank you! I appreciate you’re advice! I’ll lay off on the pellets/hay & see how that does! Thank you so much, if there is any extra advice out there I’d love to hear about it & try it!

Mateya.sarne

Laramie
Fiber, fiber and more fiber! Look up on Google what kinds of fiberous foods you can feed a tortoise, and feed him those types of fiberous foods. Also, until the stones pass, feed him lots of wet type foods too - cucumber, aloe, cactus, watermelon rinds
Thank you so much! I appreciate the help!