Bladder stone ?

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Just a general question, are there any signs that a tortoise has a bladder stone ? Inactivity ? Not passing urates ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You won't see any outward symptoms for a very long time. After the stone has had time to get bigger then it starts blocking the passage of urine. the tortoise stops eating. Quickly loses weight. Doesn't move around much. And is in a lot of pain.

hherryjohn

One of my neighbors brought a new Greek to us. He was living in the garden of an apartment downtown. He is a grown male and is infested with ticks. Insides of all 4 legs are covered with them. I can count more than 30, manually removing them from this animal seems impossible. What can I do? I could not find a vet for torts before and our vet for the cats doesn't know if dog washes are toxic for amphibians?
Will post pictures later today.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
One of my neighbors brought a new Greek to us. He was living in the garden of an apartment downtown. He is a grown male and is infested with ticks. Insides of all 4 legs are covered with them. I can count more than 30, manually removing them from this animal seems impossible. What can I do? I could not find a vet for torts before and our vet for the cats doesn't know if dog washes are toxic for amphibians?
Remove them manually anyway.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Also, when you have removed them all---you will need to disinfect the bite areas for a week or so to assure not bacteria begin to infect the open bite/wound areas.....also, while you are doing the tick extractions, you will want to keep the tortoise on disposable substrate so the ticks don't breed easily in earth substrate and then re infect....I would not do any poison medicated dips on the reptile like some do on dogs (hell, I would not even do a dip on a canine nor feline--too harmful)...manually is the long and lengthy road, but the less harmful.....you may even need to do a couple rounds over a couple of months until you find no further blood suckers....

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)

You can make ticks let go and fall off by smearing them with peanut butter. While they are sucking blood, they have to breathe through their skin. They can't do this if it is smeared with peanut butter. I know that sounds weird, but peanut butter is completely harmless, and might save you having to deal with manually removing them. The ticks should let go within an hour or so of the peanut butter being applied.
I grew up in an area where ticks were very prevalent, and since we kids loved playing out in the forest, we got them often. The peanut butter trick worked every time. The only time I got an infected bite site was when someone insisted on twisting the tick out, and a little bit of the head stayed in.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can make ticks let go and fall off by smearing them with peanut butter. While they are sucking blood, they have to breathe through their skin. They can't do this if it is smeared with peanut butter. I know that sounds weird, but peanut butter is completely harmless, and might save you having to deal with manually removing them. The ticks should let go within an hour or so of the peanut butter being applied.
I grew up in an area where ticks were very prevalent, and since we kids loved playing out in the forest, we got them often. The peanut butter trick worked every time. The only time I got an infected bite site was when someone insisted on twisting the tick out, and a little bit of the head stayed in.
That is a great idea, thank you for sharing it. I will definitely remember that for the next time I find a tick on my dog or me.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
My son got one while on a field trip with the cadets, it was stuck fast on his tummy. The doctor advised us to cover it with olive oil and it dropped off within minutes. They're nasty little things, hope they come off the tort quickly :)