bladder stones - straining noise and greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
this is a two-fold question.

my 16 month old sulcata has 4 bladder stones. xrays have proven they are there. he's eating great, drinking great, gets soaked every day. he went through a bad spell awhile back, but he's doing good now.

first question - "he" hasn't passed the stones yet, but i'm thinking he might possibly be trying to soon, as now when he soaks he makes a noise once in awhile that i've never heard before. he doesn't make it at any other time except when he soaks. he acts a bit like he's straining and he squeaks ... squeals ... not sure how to explain it. he usually does it once or maybe twice and that's it. he does urinate, but it's clear. (i know for sure because he peed all over me this morning.) :D so, i'm wondering what that squeal is? do you think it's because he's trying to pass that stone? he does poo regularly, and the squeal doesn't come when he poops so i don't think that's related.

second question - i used to get collard greens, but he'd never eat anything except spring mix. but, now he's eating like a pig, so i tried collard greens again and he loves them. since he has the 4 bladder stones, would i be better to stay away from the collard greens since they are supposed to be higher in oxalic acid??

i give him a variety of spring mix, kale, cactus, bok choy, collard greens, and mazuri. the mazuri i have cut back to once a week, since i'd read speculation that maybe too much protein was the cause of the stones. he was so picky before that he would only eat mazuri every day. but, he's eating so well now i've cut the mazuri back to once a week. he's not growing nearly as fast as he was, but he has put all the weight back on that he lost earlier and more.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
I think the squealing might be from pain, and if it were my tort, I would absolutely stay away from any food that is high in oxalates. Once the stones pass, the vet can have them tested to see what they're made of. If they contain oxlates, I would continue to avoid foods like spinach and collard greens.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Marcy, your tort is in big trouble! Read my threads on Beasty Boy. You'll find that they

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Your baby is in trouble. He is straining to pass the stones but he can't. He may still deficate and urinate but there'll be a time when he will not be able to do neither. This happened to my baby last October and he needed emergency surgery. He actually went on this way for three months, and I was hoping that he would eventually pass the stone. Meanwhile, he was in pain all the time even though he looked and acted normal. Then one day he stopped eating and looked like he was dying. If the squealing continues, don't wait. He'll need a good tort vet. The cost is about $1,000

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
one thing to mention is that these 4 stones are very small. they are not large at all and the vet really thinks he will probably pass them on his own, so is trying to avoid surgery unless they get larger or he gets more. i was told to wait and come back in late january to take another xray and see how things are progressing. he did go through a stage where he wasn't eating before, but then with all the daily soaks, we got him through that and now he's eating great. i'll be keeping a very close eye on him. thanks for the advice.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Everything you are describing to me is what I experienced with my baby. The squealing sound is one of pain- there is no other reason for making that sound. Just keep an eye out and check his urine every day. I hope he does pass those stones, but at least you can compare x-rays to see if they've gotten bigger or formed one big stone. Just watch out if he stops eating, pooping, and peeing. Wish u both the best.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Try coating his food with mineral oil. Its harmless and helps slide things along.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
At least an hour long warm water soak each day, twice would be better...and the water must be kept warm the entire time---a stroll around in a bathtub with warm water will do well, this will allow some motion and hydration..the walking around will help to get things moving and the water will help to hydrate...

Also, lvtorts suggested---you can put some mineral oil in a piece of food that he will take in with a single bite and/or you can use a dropper and deposit some mineral oil directly into his mouth....

Feeding squishy wet foods are helpful also, cucumber---squash--pumpkin (the canned kind is fine, just NOT the sugared up kind for pies ;))...the key here is a tremendous bump in wet/water/fluid intake along with some mineral oil to lube him up...

EXERCISE is huge....so the bathtub for soaking proves to provide incentive to try to escape --which offers exercise along with the hydrating spa time...just keep eye on him from time to time to make sure he does not flip himself in the water---you can grab the lap top, cell phone or a good book to occupy yourself while he is in for spa time...:D

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
i do soak an hour every morning and if i'm home in the evening, another hour. after his soak (since it's winter and he can't go outside), i let him explore the house for a half hour before i put him back in his enclosure. i will definitely try the mineral oil on the food. thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.