Blatantly shameful request for help to (re)name a tortoise conservation non-profit organisation!

Richard Harrison-Cripps

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kotor, Montenegro
I hope I’m not infringing any forum guidelines here, as I suppose this could be seen as a cynical commercially-driven request, but hopefully it might generate a few fun ideas at least!

I’m in the latter stages of developing a tortoise conservation non-profit organisation in Montenegro (about which I’ve already milked the wisdom and belaboured the fine minds of the good people of this forum in the past!).

Despite an almost complete strategic plan and an advancing deadline for paperwork submission to the powers-that-be, I’ve yet to hit upon a name for the organisation that really clicks and I was wondering whether anyone might have any clever suggestions.

Very briefly, the mission of the project involves the conservation of Hermann's tortoise in Montenegro, both in-situ and ex-situ (the latter at a purpose-built conservation / breeding / rehabilitation / educational centre). Main responsibilities will include the relocation of threatened tortoise populations from sites scheduled for commercial development to suitable protected habitat, captive-breeding animals for supplementing wild populations, providing conservation education for schools and local communities, and long-term monitoring and research. So basically, the whole shebang of regional species conservation!

The project started out as simply the “Montenegro Tortoise Conservation Project” (hence the avatar!), but I feel this might be a bit unwieldy. I would like to keep the name relatively short and sharp, whilst encapsulating positive action. Puns are very much allowed! To date my favourite has to be "ShellShock" (or the "ShellShock Foundation") which very much works for me, and allows for very funky logos, but I fear the initial message it gives is of mishap to the turtle, which is of course not quite the aim!!

Anyway, if anyone would like to chip in any ideas I’d be delighted!

Thank you all, and a very happy Christmas!

Richard

P.S. I’m not entirely sure whether this post is "off-" or "on-topic", but in the absence of an "on-the-edge-of-relevance" forum section, I decided this might be the least inappropriate place.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the name you already have. It tells me a lot. Location, the conservation part is no brainer and its for tortoises. The only thing I might change is tortoise to Hermanni, then I would also know which species. I would take the title you have more seriously as a true conservation project then a name like ShellShock or Shellshack. Just my two cents. Good luck with both the name and the project.

GeorgeUK

United Kingdom
I like the name you already have. It tells me a lot. Location, the conservation part is no brainer and its for tortoises. The only thing I might change is tortoise to Hermanni, then I would also know which species. I would take the title you have more seriously as a true conservation project then a name like ShellShock or Shellshack. Just my two cents. Good luck with both the name and the project.

I have to agree with Wellington. I always take straight-to-the-point names more seriously. ShellShock in my mind would point towards military rehabilitation, rather than Tortoise conservation.

It sounds like what you are doing is great. I look forward to seeing updates :)

Last edited:

Richard Harrison-Cripps

5 Year Member
Kotor, Montenegro
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. It's great to have some considered, intelligent input.

I love the sound and alliteration of "Shellshack" but it maybe suggests a physical premises rather than a more analogue project.

Yes, this is the key dilemma for me regarding the name: whether to go for short and zippy or a longer, more descriptive, conventional name. One of the most important aspects of the project will be it's educational role and its ability to connect with a (currently environmentally-disconnected) general public. There's an argument that a more "funky", catchy name presents an organisation as a more accessible, community-friendly entity, as opposed to the potentially distant, institutional connotations of the long traditional names. That said, as important as it is to be accessible, I think it's crucial to be seen as a serious conservation entity and not a cool commercial product with no credibility. Good job I didn't mention "Shellter" or "Shellp!" !

I'm envious of the likes of Earthwatch and Sea Shepherds! Why can't tortoises be so easy to name organisations for?!

PS. Happy birthday George! Hope you're having a great day.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. It's great to have some considered, intelligent input.

I love the sound and alliteration of "Shellshack" but it maybe suggests a physical premises rather than a more analogue project.

Yes, this is the key dilemma for me regarding the name: whether to go for short and zippy or a longer, more descriptive, conventional name. One of the most important aspects of the project will be it's educational role and its ability to connect with a (currently environmentally-disconnected) general public. There's an argument that a more "funky", catchy name presents an organisation as a more accessible, community-friendly entity, as opposed to the potentially distant, institutional connotations of the long traditional names. That said, as important as it is to be accessible, I think it's crucial to be seen as a serious conservation entity and not a cool commercial product with no credibility. Good job I didn't mention "Shellter" or "Shellp!" !

I'm envious of the likes of Earthwatch and Sea Shepherds! Why can't tortoises be so easy to name organisations for?!

PS. Happy birthday George! Hope you're having a great day.
Shell Shepherds ?

Richard Harrison-Cripps

5 Year Member
Kotor, Montenegro
I just wanted to go back to this post (as I think I rather passed over direct reference to it) and say thank you, and to George too, for the approbation. It's very much appreciated.

With reference to "Hermanni" in place of "Tortoise", I get where you're coming from but I feel it possibly gives the setup an air of academic elitism (which I suppose would be no bad thing on its own) and therefore community-inaccessibility (which would). I suppose there's a reasonably fine line between dumbing-down and, let's say, browing-up, which is my main confusion at the moment!

Another issue is that I'd like to keep an option open for involvement in the conservation of local freshwater turtle species (namely Emys orbicularis and Mauremys rivulata - both of which are dramatically decreasing in this part of the Balkans), if and when the time is right. Admittedly, "Montenegro Tortoise Conservation Project" doesn't exactly imply a focus on all chelonians, but it perhaps allows for a little more leeway than a species-specific project name.

Richard Harrison-Cripps

5 Year Member
Kotor, Montenegro
I just wanted to go back to this post (as I think I rather passed over direct reference to it) and say thank you, and to George too, for the approbation. It's very much appreciated.

With reference to "Hermanni" in place of "Tortoise", I get where you're coming from but I feel it possibly gives the setup an air of academic elitism (which I suppose would be no bad thing on its own) and therefore community-inaccessibility (which would). I suppose there's a reasonably fine line between dumbing-down and, let's say, browing-up, which is my main confusion at the moment!

Another issue is that I'd like to keep an option open for involvement in the conservation of local freshwater turtle species (namely Emys orbicularis and Mauremys rivulata - both of which are dramatically decreasing in this part of the Balkans), if and when the time is right. Admittedly, "Montenegro Tortoise Conservation Project" doesn't exactly imply a focus on all chelonians, but it perhaps allows for a little more leeway than a species-specific project name.

Oh ... and I should add that T. hermanni is the only terrestrial tortoise species in Montenegro. Should have mentioned that in the first place!