Blended Sphagnum Moss to Maintain Humidity

hessbrit

Hey Everyone!

So yesterday I cleaned out Squirt's enclosure and decided to try a new mix of substrate. Before I was using EcoEarth with whole pieces of sphagnum moss. This was holding humidity at about 80% with my humidifier at a low level and an enclosed tank. This time around I decided to try something different. I took the sphagnum moss and got it really wet. I then put it in a blender so that it would be nice and fine, and mixed it in with the EcoEarth. This allowed me to include more sphagnum moss without adding too much to the level of substrate. It also looks a lot nicer than whole pieces of sphagnum moss covered in EcoEarth. Without dampening my EcoEarth at all, or turning on my humidifier his enclosure is holding at 94% humidity! Just an idea for those of you who may be struggling with keeping up your humidity. I've been using @Yvonne G 's aluminum foil method to convert my aquarium tank to a closed chamber for those of you interested in the setup.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
This is exactly why I use a blend of peat moss. The peat moss is decomposed sphagnum moss and lacks the stringy bits plus sit hold moisture very well. And it's way cheap!