BLENDING IN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigred

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,401
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
These guys are hard to find sometimes, they blend in perfetly with the leaves. My mom has had these 2 Elongated since they were about 2 inches long and they look to be female. Maybe I will be breeding Elongated one of these days
 

RedfootsRule

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Messages
938
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
How do you care for them? All I read of them is conflicting...Some say rely heavily on fruits (which seems like the way to go for me, being that they are the deep-forest kinds) and some say rarely foods, lots of greens instead....What do you feed them like? This is a species I just LOVE, I've thought about getting a pair a few times. If I get another species, it will likely be these...If I ever find a captive-bred of very LTC pair, that is =/.
 

Yellow Turtle

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
1,608
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
His face is very pale. Can you post the whole pictures? I'd love to see more of him.

@Peter, everyone in my country feeding elongata and forstenii a lot of fruit. They can even feed 100% fruit every day when no greens or weeds available. For me I feed mine 50% fruit and 50% greens.
 

bigred

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,401
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RedfootsRule said:
How do you care for them? All I read of them is conflicting...Some say rely heavily on fruits (which seems like the way to go for me, being that they are the deep-forest kinds) and some say rarely foods, lots of greens instead....What do you feed them like? This is a species I just LOVE, I've thought about getting a pair a few times. If I get another species, it will likely be these...If I ever find a captive-bred of very LTC pair, that is =/.

These guys eat more greens, today they ate homegrown collard greens and kale then later in the day they ate some romaine. My mom raised these guys on greens so they dont go for the fruit as much. She is 89 and cant care for them so I care for them at her house daily. Im sure they are like all torts = Eat whatever they come across. They do look for earthworms around the terra cotta water dish


Yellow Turtle said:
His face is very pale. Can you post the whole pictures? I'd love to see more of him.

@Peter, everyone in my country feeding elongata and forstenii a lot of fruit. They can even feed 100% fruit every day when no greens or weeds available. For me I feed mine 50% fruit and 50% greens.

Here is a pic of her from about a year ago, I came out one morning and she had this little house flipped on its side and this is how I found her. They are very active at night if left outside
 

Julius25

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
1,108
Location (City and/or State)
France
I love the 2nd pic in the little house. :D
For my part i feed my couple with 50% 50%
 

Yellow Turtle

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2012
Messages
1,608
Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
bigred said:
Here is a pic of her from about a year ago, I came out one morning and she had this little house flipped on its side and this is how I found her. They are very active at night if left outside

That's a very nice pose and make me wonder if he did the pose to poo, because I see the poo there. It's really similar with my forstenii, they like to climb a lot. I just wonder with the pyramiding I see in the picture because I heard elongated and forstenii are not really prone to pyramiding even under care.
 

bigred

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,401
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yellow Turtle said:
bigred said:
Here is a pic of her from about a year ago, I came out one morning and she had this little house flipped on its side and this is how I found her. They are very active at night if left outside

That's a very nice pose and make me wonder if he did the pose to poo, because I see the poo there. It's really similar with my forstenii, they like to climb a lot. I just wonder with the pyramiding I see in the picture because I heard elongated and forstenii are not really prone to pyramiding even under care.

Yes they are pyramiding a little bit and I heard they arent prone to pyramiding even in captivity. My mom raised these 2 and for a long time she lined the enclosure with newspaper. I tried to tell her this was not the way to do it but she wouldnt listen. she is 89 years old now and it was easier for her to keep it clean and SEE the poops, Shes been keeping tortoises on and off for probably around 50 years and thinks she knows more than me:D. Back in her time of keeping torts I dont think she ever heard of humidity and smooth tortoises. I do think the tort was standing like this to poop, I think he needs some reading material
 

ascott

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
16,152
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Oh Ed, you better hope your Mom does not read your post....lol....I love that flipped out pic...very fun :D
 

bigred

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
3,401
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
ascott said:
Oh Ed, you better hope your Mom does not read your post....lol....I love that flipped out pic...very fun :D

Mom doesnt own a computer, Ive tried to talk her into learning how to use a computer but she wont
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top