Blink camera to record my torts farming... no, really.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
blink.jpg

I got one of these cameras from Amazon during a sale, and hadn't gotten around to installing it (or even unboxing it) until today.

I think I'm going to use it to spy on my torts, two of them in particular: Aretha and Deirdre.

Aretha is an MEP, Deirdre is a Home Hingeback; I think I've seen both of them "farming" worms and pillbugs in their enclosures.

I feed my torts using paper plates, for ease of cleanup and to help prevent the possible spread of pathogens of any sort. I try to feed just enough so that there is a tiny bit leftover the next morning when I switch out the old plate for a new one. Generally, the food from the day before soaks through the paper plate a bit and/or spills over the side.

I have noticed in multiple instances both Aretha and Deirdre, but not the other torts (a Redfoot and 4 Russians), moving the empty plate aside to get at the pillbugs and worms underneath it, enjoying the moisture and leftovers... I've seen these two gobbling down members of their janitorial staff the morning after, but not on the day that I put the plate down.

I feel as though this is nearly tool usage, and would like to get some video to share with the TFO braintrust.

Jamie

PS - it's possible that they just hear the worms and pillbugs under the plate and are getting hungry, waiting for me to bring them their meals, but I like thinking it's a display of intelligence... thoughts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Usually anything I have sitting out in my yard, lawn decorations with flat bottoms, always has some kind of bug taking over the moist damp ground under it.
Just found a dozen or more slugs under an umbrella stand/weight the other day, yuck.

ZenHerper

New Jersey

I feel as though this is nearly tool usage, and would like to get some video to share with the TFO braintrust.

Jamie

PS - it's possible that they just hear the worms and pillbugs under the plate and are getting hungry, waiting for me to bring them their meals, but I like thinking it's a display of intelligence... thoughts?
Tool usage implies the torts put a plate on the ground to lure invertebrates.

But intelligence, certainly. Anything living on a large territory has to have functional intelligence. It's absurd religionist hogwash that reptiles don't learn and think. "Lowly" Ispods are routinely being used to study personality:

Modern review of reptile sentience:

Then we have to wonder What Is Intelligence...what kinds of brains are better? A more sophisticated discussion of the interplay of brain structure and size:

We know that social species have learning advantages (we watch each other and share experiences)...but reptiles (specifically our good friend Geochelone carbonaria) can learn by observing each other too:

A hollistic view of how problem-solving arises (and a demonstration of just how much research for reptile species is lacking):

If you confirm an experience-guided hunting behavior (repeatedly and intentionally moving the plate to look under it), that's super cool!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Tool usage implies the torts put a plate on the ground to lure invertebrates.

But intelligence, certainly. Anything living on a large territory has to have functional intelligence. It's absurd religionist hogwash that reptiles don't learn and think. "Lowly" Ispods are routinely being used to study personality:

Modern review of reptile sentience:

Then we have to wonder What Is Intelligence...what kinds of brains are better? A more sophisticated discussion of the interplay of brain structure and size:

We know that social species have learning advantages (we watch each other and share experiences)...but reptiles (specifically our good friend Geochelone carbonaria) can learn by observing each other too:

A hollistic view of how problem-solving arises (and a demonstration of just how much research for reptile species is lacking):

If you confirm an experience-guided hunting behavior (repeatedly and intentionally moving the plate to look under it), that's super cool!
Thanks for this post… really interesting and thoughtful.

Jamie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
View attachment 331649

I got one of these cameras from Amazon during a sale, and hadn't gotten around to installing it (or even unboxing it) until today.

I think I'm going to use it to spy on my torts, two of them in particular: Aretha and Deirdre.

Aretha is an MEP, Deirdre is a Home Hingeback; I think I've seen both of them "farming" worms and pillbugs in their enclosures.

I feed my torts using paper plates, for ease of cleanup and to help prevent the possible spread of pathogens of any sort. I try to feed just enough so that there is a tiny bit leftover the next morning when I switch out the old plate for a new one. Generally, the food from the day before soaks through the paper plate a bit and/or spills over the side.

I have noticed in multiple instances both Aretha and Deirdre, but not the other torts (a Redfoot and 4 Russians), moving the empty plate aside to get at the pillbugs and worms underneath it, enjoying the moisture and leftovers... I've seen these two gobbling down members of their janitorial staff the morning after, but not on the day that I put the plate down.

Jamie

When I first moved into this house 20 or 25 years ago I set about 8 or so large potted plants up against the fence in the Manouria yard, as I wasn't ready yet to set them in their permanent place. Every a.m. they would all be knocked over, laying on their sides. One morning I sneaked out there real early and watched the biggest female walk up to the first pot and tip it over with a front leg. Then she would sniff the ground under the pot. She walked down the whole row, tipping and sniffing, eating any slugs that happened to be there. Maybe not using tools, but hunting for sure.

Sensimillia

East Sussex
Very interesting stuff. Wonder if anything like Pavlov's Dog (classical conditioning) could be done.
Could possibly train/condition your tortoise to respond to the sound of a bell?