Bloated sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
Hello, I have a sulcata that I rescued after he was backed over by a car. His shell has healed well and he is estimated to be about 3 years old and weighs about 2 lbs right now. I live in Arizona so he spends most of his time out doors and only comes in when the temp drops below 70. He has a nice hut for shade and constant access to water for soaking. For a few weeks now I have noticed he is extremely bloated and will urinate quite a bit at a time. I have no idea if this is normal or if I should be worried. He only eats grass, mainly burmuda and Kentucky bluegrass, and weeds with the occasional rose or grape leaf. I have also noticed that he has a clear mucus that is coming from his nose. His breathing sounds normal and there is no wheezing so I don't know if this is normal or not. Hope someone can help me out.

Here are some pictures of the bloating if that helps.
hank.jpg

hank2.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
It definitely looks bloated, has this happened recently?

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
Yes, with in the last few weeks and it has not gotten any better. Sometimes its even worse.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
You might want to PM exoticdr for an opinion, I have one but I am not a vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dmmj said:
You might want to PM exoticdr for an opinion, I have one but I am not a vet.

I already sent him the link.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Time to get your sulcata to a vet, as quick as possible. It's quite possible your tortoise is having kidney problem. :(

Danny

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
egyptiandan said:
Time to get your sulcata to a vet, as quick as possible. It's quite possible your tortoise is having kidney problem. :(

Danny
That's what I was thinking but did not want to say until someone more experienced saw it.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Absolutely agree with Dan, with just a pic it's impossible for me to determine if it's air under the skin, edema or fat...though it looks like edema..which could be the result of allergic reaction, heart problems, kidney problems, parasitism, etc.......Get him to an exotics vet immediately.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
I agree with Danny. That certainly isn't normal for a Sulcata. He looks very bloated all the way around and could be his kidneys. I wouldn't wait any longer. I'm not sure where in Arizona you are but Dr. Funk is in Phoenix and Dr. Jarchow in Tucson along with Dr. Samuels at Central animal hospital in Tucson. He should be seen by a herp vet who knows what to look for.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
First thing I thought when I saw the pics was "renal failure." It is definitely vet time. He needs a blood panel done to find out what the problem is.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
you say he was previously backed over by a car....maybe this is lingering internal damage coming to light....I would get him to a rep vet asap as well.... gosh, good luck

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Yes I would like to know also, as I am waiting on blood panel results for a bloated box turtle. The vet named SO many things that could cause it. I bet you are as worried as I am. I hope your tort is okay :)

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try and get him into see a vet tomorrow. I will keep posting as I find out what is going on.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Best wishes to you. Hope you get the problem cleared up soon. Keep us posted.

Tortoiselover87

5 Year Member
So Hank has a upper respiratory infection and the Dr. is not sure if it is a severe kidney infection or kidney failure. He is on antibiotics and we well know in about 3-4 weeks which it is. I'm hoping for the infection as if it is kidney failure there is not really anything that can be done. I will keep everyone posted. Once again thanks for the information and advice.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Did they do a blood test?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
So glad he was able to go to the vet. Hopefully the antiobiotics will kick in and he will do well.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Best of luck to your and your tortoise. I feel so bad for the innocent little guys, it's wonderful that you are spending your time and money for the sake of that animal. I'll be looking for updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.