Bloating in hindquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone, just a few days back, I noticed that my year old star tortoise had some Air-pocket-like hindquarters. I can't find much info about this. I've had him for 3 weeks, he does have RNS (doesnt seem to be getting any better even though he's putting on weight), and he's due for his 2nd dose of Panacur today.

First week I got him he weighed 45g. At the moment he's 51g. He has water available to him in his enclosure everyday. I soak him everyday as well. Though I noticed he only drinks while he's soaked on alternate days. Hardly saw any urates in the recent days too. Been feeding him Mazuri ever since I brought him to the vet.

What could be wrong?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Has your tortoise defecated lately?

Danny

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
oh yes he has. Been consistently "solid-like" and dark in color. The only time he pooped runny stools was yesterday. So far for the past week, I've only been feeding him mazuri with carrots.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
What are you giving for the RNS? Can you post pictures of the bloating?

Danny

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Nothing atm for RNS. The vet chose not to presribe any med for it, as it was rather mild and nose was pretty much dry throughout the day. But there seems to be alot more mucus and teary eyes in the recent days. Must add that the temp has never gone below 77 degrees.

I'll post the pics of the bloating when I get home in a couple of hours, Danny. :)

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Here are some pics of the fore and hindlegs. The fore regions are a little puffy. But the hind regions seem like air filled bubble gum to me.

dsc02337a.jpg

dsc02338i.jpg

dsc02339q.jpg

dsc02340o.jpg

dsc02342l.jpg

dsc02343vm.jpg

Also, he did defecate awhile ago. Firm and dark in colour. Still, while soaking, no urates.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That is fluid retention and is caused by something wrong with her kidneys. Whether it's an infection or a stone it's hard to tell without an x-ray (which I would recommend you getting).
This is also most likely the cause of her runny nose as the problem is causing stress and lowering her immune system.

Danny

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Oh my god.. that totally sucks... Good thing I've an appointment with the Vet this Saturday.
Danny, what if it was an infection? Other than lack of stones in the kidney and bladder from the X-rays, any other methods of finding out?

Would anti-biotics fix this?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes a course of antibiotics would be in order if a stone isn't found. You can have blood tests done, but not sure it would pinpoint the infection. It's just try an antibiotic to see if it works or not and trying a different one if it doesn't.

Danny

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
sigh....I just hope that its a one shot one kill thing.. Cant really like it drag and try out all the meds. Definitely wouldnt want the vet to suck me dry financially and then let my tortoise die in the end cos all the wrong guesses were made.

I really appreciate your help here, Danny. A clearer picture was what I really needed. Thank you so much.

RichardS

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Charleston, SC
If I were you, I'd go to the vet today. You'd be giving the tortoise a better shot. Try emailing the vet the photos, you'll get an appointment quicker.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Forgot about that :( Yes this is an ASAP to the vets.

Danny

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
This is really bad... I've just had him for 3 weeks and all these illnesses are showing up.
What could have caused issues with his kidneys in the first place?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
A stone could be the result of diet, or dehydration. An infection can come from contact with another tortoise. It is hard to pinpoint.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Oh i see. Hmmm, I doubt it could be dehydration in the recent weeks.. He drinks moderately, on and off when I soak him everyday. Still very possible for it to be either of the 3 causes though. I'm sure the previous owner had no idea that it would result in this, as he has several star tortoises with him.

Homerist

10 Year Member!
hi there,

i visited a vet 2weeks back for my star's rns. while examining my star, the vet noticed the puffiness like yours though mine is less puffy.
she mentioned that it is due to imbalance nutrition.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Yea diet could have been one of the reasons that caused his illness. in the 3 weeks that i got him, he hardly ate a whole lot of stuff cos of the worms.. so yea..probably carried the illness for a long time due to diet or something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.