Blog post with pictures showing how to determine sex of Russian tortoises

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
I just finished writing up a blog post with detailed diagrams, pictures and descriptions of male and female Russian tortoise tails. Here's the link: http://tortaddiction.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-helpful-guide-to-determining-sex-of.html

If there is interest, I am happy to re-write this as TFO-post, if it would be a useful link on TFO itself, rather than just as a blog post.

DSC_4757 - Copy - Copy.JPG
(here is one diagram, but there are also actual photos of real tortoise tails)

Hopefully this will help you determine whether your tortoise is a boy or a girl. If you are keeping just one and have no plans to breed, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. One of our female tortoises has a boy-name. I am sure there are many male tortoises out there with female names.

Please also keep in mind that a tortoise needs to be 4.5" - 5" long (measured by placing the tortoise onto a ruler) in order to be able to know reliably. All tortoises start out looking really darn female.

Last edited by a moderator:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I just read your blog. Very nice. Great pictures, especially the female after having laid eggs.

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
I read this post the other day and the full blogspot and now I'm starting to wonder if my little girl is Maybe my little boy! Not sure how I feel about that either way. Thanks for sharing!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Great diagrams!!! Wish it went for all species! ( for my sake) 😊

Kianahkaydi

Hi , I'm new to this so not sure how to navigate around the site yet! But thanks for the diagram and pictures! I got my Russian tortoise about 4 months ago and called him Neville :) I really love this name and have got it into my head that he is a boy 100%, however from seeing the pictures I now think he's a girl.. He's still very small possibly 6-7months old, so is this far too early to decide? Her/his tail could grow? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404425900.228479.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404425936.461065.jpg I will upload a clear photo of Neville's tail tomorrow when he's awake :) thanks !

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Neville is really to small to sex accurately.

Kianahkaydi

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404487715.239572.jpg never actually measured him before so just did now and he's only 2.5inches so definitely too small to tell! There's still hope he's a boy yet then :D haha thanks!

Shakudo

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
@Kianahkaydi Neville is sooooooo adorable!!
As for the sexing... above says it all....

Take care,
and enjoy that cute little tortoise, I adore Russians.

Joey