Blood in urine?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Rose will take another stool sample in to the vet. The vet just wants to make sure there is no blood in the stool. I think I will ask how much a x-ray is. I would like to know if Opo has stones and everything else looks ok.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well 2nd stool sample was clear of blood or parasites.
I have noticed whenever Opo pees or poops. He makes a low groan, not loud. He isn't constipated but his manhood seems to come out everytime.
Maybe wherever that blood came from hasn't healed?
I am going to have a x-ray done, it only cost 100.00.
Hopefully nothing bad is found.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have noticed whenever Opo pees or poops. He makes a low groan, not loud. He isn't constipated but his manhood seems to come out everytime.
If it is just a cut it probably won't show on an x-ray. But an x-ray could rule a deeper issue out like stones so I'll be hoping and praying for Opo 🙏🤗

Phreeflow

CA
Yikes! Had not clue males expose themselves like that so often. Glad I only have female torts and happy he’s better!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
My vet has a good reputation on exotic pets. Florida Wild and Game bring her the injured animals they come across. She has a sulcata brought to her that got the side of the shell run over by a car. She reconstructed the carapace and plastron. The sulcata lives with her now. It's been like 6 years when she treated the sully. I hope I have a good vet. I did a little research on her.
What part of Florida? I'm looking for a new Vet... I'm directly on the border of Hernando & Pasco County which is about 35 miles north of Tampa. My Vet is in Spring Hill and I have a Sully. I've literally called Vets in Brooksville, Dade City, New Port Richey, Wesley Chapel, Lakeland, Zephyrhills, and Blue Pearl in Tampa but was told by all of them they are either an ER only, aren't taking new patients for tortoises OR they don't treat tortoises. Blue Pearl in Clearwater does but that's a ride all the way down 19 straight into Clearwater and now a days with this over crowded state you try to avoid 19 and all those lights you'll catch. What use to be a 35 minute drive is now 75 minutes. I've been here 32 years and I hate driving anymore

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What part of Florida? I'm looking for a new Vet... I'm directly on the border of Hernando & Pasco County which is about 35 miles north of Tampa. My Vet is in Spring Hill and I have a Sully. I've literally called Vets in Brooksville, Dade City, New Port Richey, Wesley Chapel, Lakeland, Zephyrhills, and Blue Pearl in Tampa but was told by all of them they are either an ER only, aren't taking new patients for tortoises OR they don't treat tortoises. Blue Pearl in Clearwater does but that's a ride all the way down 19 straight into Clearwater and now a days with this over crowded state you try to avoid 19 and all those lights you'll catch. What use to be a 35 minute drive is now 75 minutes. I've been here 32 years and I hate driving anymore
I am in Palm Bay which is east of you by about 4 hrs. I think @ZEROPILOT might know a vet closer than me. Still might be a little of a drive but not 4hrs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I am in Palm Bay which is east of you by about 4 hrs. I think @ZEROPILOT might know a vet closer than me. Still might be a little of a drive but not 4hrs.
I use BROWARD AVIAN AND EXOTIC exclusively.
Both doctors Kelleher and Pardini own tortoises and completely understand their physiology. Etc.
Doctor Pardini is from Brazil and has been with Redfoot all of her life.
It's in North east Broward county.
Probably worth the drive.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Both doctors Kelleher and Pardini own tortoises and completely understand their physiology. Etc.
Thanks for that information. I thought I remembered you talking highly about your vet.
@Mikki

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Rose will take another stool sample in to the vet. The vet just wants to make sure there is no blood in the stool. I think I will ask how much a x-ray is. I would like to know if Opo has stones and everything else looks ok. Well I hope he gets better in the X-ray gives you the answers you're looking for $100 is cheap for an x-ray my vet charge is $250 for x-ray

The vets around me (Appleton Wisconsin) are overpriced they quoted me $250 for an x-ray and I haven't found one Vet locally that knows anything about reptiles they claim they do but their actions clearly show they don't

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
The vets around me (Appleton Wisconsin) are overpriced they quoted me $250 for an x-ray and I haven't found one Vet locally that knows anything about reptiles they claim they do but their actions clearly show they don't
I was surprised the fee was only 100.00. I hope you find a vet.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Thank you sooo much! Absolutely it would be worth the drive... My Sulcata had been on antibiotics for congestion and then he had what they called conjunctivitis in both of his eyes BUT I did have them swab and sent for a lab report to make sure nothing was seriously wrong... The vet I see now does seem to know the basics, but I want to go to someone that knows EVERYTHING and will be able to help me should there be any emergencies I need to call about or hurry and get there with. I like the vet I have and she sees only reptiles, but I would think she would know that you can not determine a tortoise gender when they are 6 months old. When Scooter was 6 months old he went for an examine and she told me Scooter was a girl because his shell was not indented, I already knew what she was talking about was BS and you couldn't tell. Well my Scooter at the age of 2 has put me on notice that he is 100% no doubt about it a MALE! Other than that she has not directed me wrong and has seemed OK, but I still want another Vet. I take Scooter every 6 months for an examine and stool check for parasites. Maybe I should only go once a year, he is 3 years old as of this month(June) but I figured as long as I can still put him in my car, I am taking him.. Thank you again for the info.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you sooo much! Absolutely it would be worth the drive... My Sulcata had been on antibiotics for congestion and then he had what they called conjunctivitis in both of his eyes BUT I did have them swab and sent for a lab report to make sure nothing was seriously wrong... The vet I see now does seem to know the basics, but I want to go to someone that knows EVERYTHING and will be able to help me should there be any emergencies I need to call about or hurry and get there with. I like the vet I have and she sees only reptiles, but I would think she would know that you can not determine a tortoise gender when they are 6 months old. When Scooter was 6 months old he went for an examine and she told me Scooter was a girl because his shell was not indented, I already knew what she was talking about was BS and you couldn't tell. Well my Scooter at the age of 2 has put me on notice that he is 100% no doubt about it a MALE! Other than that she has not directed me wrong and has seemed OK, but I still want another Vet. I take Scooter every 6 months for an examine and stool check for parasites. Maybe I should only go once a year, he is 3 years old as of this month(June) but I figured as long as I can still put him in my car, I am taking him.. Thank you again for the info.
I only take a tortoise to see Dr. Pardini if it is outwardly sick.etc.
I don't "do" yearly check ups.
I'd only do that with a previously ill tortoise such as yours.
Dr. Kelleher has a Sulcata tortoise