Bloody Shell??

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
BLOODY PLASTRON!!!????

I have a 3 month Old baby Leo who had a rocky start in life. She has never been the healthiest baby. I have posted on here about her before being sick.
She has since been doing much better. We seen a vet and she was give a few Vitamin and calcium injections and some eye ointment. She has since been eating well but is never really active. I was told on here that Her cage and heat and humidity levels are all good.

Anyways for the past 2 days she wont eat. Her shell seems very springy and I noticed it was bleeding around her front arm... NO injury has happened....

Any ideas....

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
@Tom I bought her online from backwater reptiles. I got her from them right after they received her from their breeder. I have emailed them a few times asking the same question but no answer.

should I even bother taking her to the vet again today or do you think that it is a dead end road...

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
Can you take pictures?

Elohi(Earth)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby tortoises do tend to feel a bit 'springy', however, if you think this is more than normal, then the baby needs calcium and sunshine...and quickly. How old is your UVB light?

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
@Yvonne G I bought my uvb bulb in February. I've had her outside all morning. And we give her calcium on her food daily. Also she had a calcium injection about 3 weeks ago...

@Elohi, I will asap

Last edited:

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
Her plastron ids getting dark.. and not squishy but a lot more springy. The white is calcium powder from laying in her food.

Attachments

• 20140515_112558.jpg
    20140515_112558.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20140515_112530.jpg
    20140515_112530.jpg
    681.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20140515_112608.jpg
    20140515_112608.jpg
    914.3 KB · Views: 120

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am sorry but your tortoise looks severely emaciated. Only you can decide if you want to spend the money to take him to the vet again. I probably would not. I would keep the tortoise around 90f with high humidity around the clock, food and water available at all times, soak frequently, and hope for the best.

Is your tortoise able to open its eyes at all?

M

Maggie Cummings

What does she eat? Follow what Neal says, and make sure you are feeding her something she recognizes as food. I would also add Gerber strained carrots to every soak. She will benefit from the nutrition even if she does not actually drink any...

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
@Neal
She does open her eyes. But not unless I bug her. If I left her alone she probably wouldn'tmove all day. I will start the baby food soaks again.
A tortoise really shouldn't be this hard right???
@maggie3fan
She eats spring mix , water crest, bok choy, cactus pad and endive. I buy whatever is available and safe for her to eat. But these are the main plants. She hated collard greens.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
@Neal
She does open her eyes. But not unless I bug her. If I left her alone she probably wouldn'tmove all day. I will start the baby food soaks again.
A tortoise really shouldn't be this hard right???

Keeping her warm will hopefully encourage her to be active and eat. I hope it all works well for you.

It doesn't have to be that hard, but it can be since not all tortoises are born with an equal chance of survival, so some are more "difficult" than others by nature. That being said, starting them off well certainly will increase any tortoises chance for survival.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If your tortoise is suffering the effects of early dehydration, which it seems like it is, no amount of vet care will save it. It will either survive on its own with all the good care you are offering, or it won't. I would not go to the vet in this case.

Tortoises are not hard at all. The problem is you got one with an incorrect start. Get one with the proper start, and everything is easy as pie.

I'm sorry you are going through this, and I'm sorry the breeder didn't do a better job with his/her babies. Wish I could fix it.

Katybug

10 Year Member!
Utah
Thanks for all the kindness. I have only had her for a bit but really did my best to give her a good home. I can't believe how attached you can get to such a little thing. It might sound weird but I think she had the sweetest little personality when she was feeling well. I don't want her to suffer... is euthanasia completely un heard of for a tortoise... Her plastron keeps getting more and more discolored... I don't think she will pull through this...

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I and several other people have ran into some pretty sketchy business with backwater reptiles over the years. Granted there are some really cool things that he does carry, but when it comes to buying a tortoise i'd steer clear next time. Some better choices for future tortoises would be from andrew at arizonatortoisesupply.com or from tortoisesupply.com.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
No problem :) i hope your little one pulls through though, just keep the lil man hydrated.

M

Maggie Cummings

It sounds like you are feeding her right. Good luck with her, and please keep us posted...I am sorry this is happening to you...and her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a note of caution: Some tortoises find the taste of calcium powder offensive and won't eat if they can smell it on their food. So just a small pinch of the powder between your thumb and index finger is all you need. Then mix it up thoroughly so it's not sitting on top of the food. But at this stage, I'm afraid your baby isn't going to be eating. Good luck. I hope he gets better.