Blue Tongue Skink Questions

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

I'm thinking of expanding my repertoire to include Blue Tongue Skinks, as have a few questions...

1. is there a TFO equivalent for BTS?
  2. are there breeders I should definitely seek out (or avoid)?
  3. are there other species I should consider, given my lizard-search parameters of chunky, docile, and hardy?
Thanks,

Jamie

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, Jamie!
I have a BTS who will be 1 year old on June 20th, named Thistle.

There is a very good forum, called www.bluetongueskinks.org
I registered as a member and did a lot of reading, but never posted.

They also have the best care sheet that I have found.
You can download it if you want via a link at the bottom of page 1.

I have never kept a lizard before, and was advised that a BTS would be the best for me as a beginner. My only non-negotiable point was no bugs, mice, or other living thing was required for feeding. BTS fit the bill.

I brought Thistle home at 6 days old. Taming had its ups and downs, but I think that was my lack of experience. @Tom also has a BTS, and he has been a great resource, as well as @Chubbs the tegu . There were others too...search my threads here in 'lizards'.

I got Thistle from a local breeder who is a small operation, and doesn't ship. I don't know anything about any other breeders. Tom may know someone, or be able to get a reference for you for someone closer.

I think, with no experience to back this up, that a BTS would be perfect for you. I like that they have such sturdy bodies...you can grab it and not be afraid you're going to crush it or tear the skin.

Thistle is a character..she (since I don't know, I've assigned her female) likes to climb straight up the back of my head in my hair, and then lays on top nestled in the hair.
I really look forward to her waking up from brumation.

20200831_161221.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I'm thinking of expanding my repertoire to include Blue Tongue Skinks, as have a few questions...

1. is there a TFO equivalent for BTS?
  2. are there breeders I should definitely seek out (or avoid)?
  3. are there other species I should consider, given my lizard-search parameters of chunky, docile, and hardy?
Thanks,

Jamie
Hi Jaime.

1. I also recommend the site Karen linked. I've spent many hours there over the years.
2. These are harder to mess up. Not like tortoises. Most people that have them seem to know how to care for them, and they almost never die, unlike our tortoises that are started incorrectly by so many breeders. I don't know any breeders personally any more, but I wouldn't be too concerned. You know the types of questions to ask.
3. Bearded dragon, and Uromastix come to mind as other that fit your criteria, but nothing beats a Northern Blue Tongue Skink. Be aware that there are many types and species around. Avoid imports and the ones that require higher humidity. They don't all have the same temperament. You want a CB Northern BTS.