Bob condolence thread thread

M

Maggie Cummings

@jaizei, I apologize for spelling your name so wrong. I meant no disrespect. I am sorry.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
We're going to dig up Bob this week end and put him in a casket. I certainly won't be home at the time, I don't want to remember him that way.I want to remember the troublemaker. I read about the urn, stuff like that just hurts more.....
I wish I had buried him. The box sitting in the house is kind of rough.
You're doing the right thing.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
3U-i5cwubVd5ajH4Lx2gMMKIppu8F1xUY0wZbh4NkNA=w164-h122-p
This was Bob's stone, it weighed 1 1/2 pounds...It was in his bladder. He bled to death and his lungs drowned in blood. Don't ever go to Dr Burgess in Beaverton.
God has a whole world filled with animals, strange and normal, why did he have to take Bob when he could have taken any other animal???....
8vyDKqv_8ccwVr1i_WNlT4cFtlRaYQkveSM6IraRs0I=w178-h133-p
Just out of interest, his last ride was in my IROC, and when buried his shroud is a Dale Earnhardt blanket. What else would you expect???:<3:

Maggie: You know I feel awful about what happened to Bob, but why would you wish someone else's pet to die and make them feel as badly as you do. I know you didn't mean that. We'll never know why things happen. We're supposed to learn and grow, and this was your learning experience. Terrible, terrible. I wish it didn't happen.

Prairie Mom

Maggie, you and Bob's story and your words are so beautiful. I cried as I read them. I wish Bob didn't have to go the way he did. I'm sorry this was so traumatic, but I still hold on to the thought that Bob got to spend his whole life with you. I'm not sure how he would have done if you left him first. I'm so glad that this special guy spent his whole existence being loved and valued.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
My white German Shepherd died unexpectedly in his sleep July 4th. It was such a shock to our family. No one can ever understand the bond. Ever. My heart breaks so much for you Maggie. I am so sorry for your loss. I know some of your pain as it kills me I never got to say goodbye to Kaiser.

Bob knew how much you loved him, I have never in my life seen a Sulcata smile they way Bob did. I shall miss his stories.

Much love to you..

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Maggie I always looked forward to reading about Bob, he truly was a unique soul. Your relationship was so special. As a fellow animal lover I know I cannot understand what you are going through but I can relate to losing a beloved pet. It physically makes your heart ache! Try if you can to focus on the beautiful relationship you shared with all of us. It will change how we feel and treat our pets because we know such beautiful connections are possible! You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Rest in peace dear Bob.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Glad to see you are back and able to see the love that is on this forum for you and Bob. Sharing his antics and pics, will help to make you smile and some day even laugh. You have lots of friends here that love Bob and want to help you through as much as we can.
To everyone that's lost that four legged best friend or any animal friend. It's hard, hard as hell. Do for you what you have to, too help you through. And don't let anyone belittle your loss or tell you to get over it.

M

Maggie Cummings

Maggie: You know I feel awful about what happened to Bob, but why would you wish someone else's pet to die and make them feel as badly as you do. I know you didn't mean that. We'll never know why things happen. We're supposed to learn and grow, and this was your learning experience. Terrible, terrible. I wish it didn't happen.
I was more or less talking about the great wild animals out there. I certainly would not wish this feeling on an enemy even

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't know what to say, it makes me proud and it makes me feel good knowing other people appreciated Bob for the different tortoise he was. I am so glad that others saw the bond between us. I must say I believe I made a mistake in asking dmmj to lock my RIP Bob thread. I was sorta yelled at because I didn't give you a chance to mourn with me. So I am sorry for that, but I just wasn't sure my heart could take it. In this thread a couple of you made me cry, a couple made me laugh, and you all made me feel so lucky that I did get to have a special bond, I can take it now, but I'm not sure I could have then. There was one point made that was right on as far as I'm concerned, if I had gone first Bob was going to a friend in Alabama. She has room and more Sulcata. But I truly believe Bob loved me and would miss me and maybe not do so well.

Now I think I'll tell the last Bob story....

2 days before Bob's surgery I was messing with him in the yard and all the sudden he kinda knocked me back and climbed on me as far as he could. Then he got his face as close to mine as he could, of course I was laughing and pushing at him. But all the sudden I realized he was so still and he was staring into my eyes without moving. His eyes captured mine and we just stared at each other for what seemed like a long time, then I realized he was trying to tell me something. His look was so intense. But how was I to know what? I stared and stared, but all I knew was he really was trying to tell me something. He got off of me and just walk off.
That night I woke up about 3 am, I had been dreaming about Bob, he was in that same position on me, looking into my eyes, only in my dream he said " I just wanted you to know I am sick and I am going to die, and I love you so". I was sweating and my heart was pounding, and for some reason I was scared too, but I believe it with all my heart. Some of you will believe that and some won't, but deep inside yourself don't you wish you could experience that bond also??? I can feel his energy around me too..End of story

M

Maggie Cummings

DawnH...I'm sorry you lost a beloved pet so suddenly. At least I was there with Bob. But I know you feel devastated. Tell Emma her picture is on the wall next to my computer. I'm not sure I have been that touched in a long time. I'll write her a note tomorrow...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't know what to say, it makes me proud and it makes me feel good knowing other people appreciated Bob for the different tortoise he was. I am so glad that others saw the bond between us. I must say I believe I made a mistake in asking dmmj to lock my RIP Bob thread. I was sorta yelled at because I didn't give you a chance to mourn with me. So I am sorry for that, but I just wasn't sure my heart could take it. In this thread a couple of you made me cry, a couple made me laugh, and you all made me feel so lucky that I did get to have a special bond, I can take it now, but I'm not sure I could have then. There was one point made that was right on as far as I'm concerned, if I had gone first Bob was going to a friend in Alabama. She has room and more Sulcata. But I truly believe Bob loved me and would miss me and maybe not do so well.

2 days before Bob's surgery I was messing with him in the yard and all the sudden he kinda knocked me back and climbed on me as far as he could. Then he got his face as close to mine as he could, of course I was laughing and pushing at him. But all the sudden I realized he was so still and he was staring into my eyes without moving. His eyes captured mine and we just stared at each other for what seemed like a long time, then I realized he was trying to tell me something. His look was so intense. But how was I to know what? I stared and stared, but all I knew was he really was trying to tell me something. He got off of me and just walk off.
That night I woke up about 3 am, I had been dreaming about Bob, he was in that same position on me, looking into my eyes, only in my dream he said " I just wanted you to know I am sick and I am going to die, and I love you so". I was sweating and my heart was pounding, and for some reason I was scared too, but I believe it with all my heart. Some of you will believe that and some won't, but deep inside yourself don't you wish you could experience that bond also??? I can feel his energy around me too..End of story
Now I'm crying again. I believe that.

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas

Crying as well. I firmly believe it. :<3::tort::<3:

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
I sure will Maggie. Jilly was a little frustrated (she is 7, Emma is 11) that her tortoise did not look as good as Emma's...lol. I was really touched at their pictures too, they sure did love their Bob stories and you taught them a lot by sharing them! You have made Tuleo's life for the better in sharing them as well. I shall plant my roses carefully in the future...lol

Love and hugs to you.

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
I'm a believer. I think there is a lot we just can't understand regarding emotional connections with animals. Anyone who has had such a strong bond with an animal knows that there is something unexplainable regarding our ability to communicate without words....thank you for sharing such a personal experience with us. It is this painful because you have such an enormous capacity to love so much.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
This is beyond heartbreaking........

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I don't think I've had any words of condolences even from the beginning, when I first heard about Bob's passing I literally couldn't believe it, and don't think I did for a while.
It put into perspective that our tortoises aren't invincible even with the best care, and my brain didn't want to accept that.
The bond you shared with Bob is something I've always aspired to have with my Franklin, though Nank is much more small and breakable being a Russian tort, but he has all the spunk in the world to match Bob... Unfortunately my little one is shy to everyone, less shy to me but still no Bob. He was a one of a kind tortoise with a one of a kind bond to you. Your bond is what made me realize it was OK to see my Nank as a pet rather than just trying to leave him be and replicate his natural environment as much as I can, which is a big deal since Nank is in my life because of my depression, I can put him on my chest laying down if I'm really down and he'll just stare me down like he knows and is telling me it's OK, and if I do it when I'm not really down he'll just walk off like I'm crazy.
I know me and Nank's bond is nothing like you and Bob had, but since your loss it feels like a piece of my heart has been ripped out at the thought of even trying to understand how you feel.
But let's admit it, he was the most awesome sulcata there is and always will be.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't think I've had any words of condolences even from the beginning, when I first heard about Bob's passing I literally couldn't believe it, and don't think I did for a while.
It put into perspective that our tortoises aren't invincible even with the best care, and my brain didn't want to accept that.
The bond you shared with Bob is something I've always aspired to have with my Franklin, though Nank is much more small and breakable being a Russian tort, but he has all the spunk in the world to match Bob... Unfortunately my little one is shy to everyone, less shy to me but still no Bob. He was a one of a kind tortoise with a one of a kind bond to you. Your bond is what made me realize it was OK to see my Nank as a pet rather than just trying to leave him be and replicate his natural environment as much as I can, which is a big deal since Nank is in my life because of my depression, I can put him on my chest laying down if I'm really down and he'll just stare me down like he knows and is telling me it's OK, and if I do it when I'm not really down he'll just walk off like I'm crazy.
I know me and Nank's bond is nothing like you and Bob had, but since your loss it feels like a piece of my heart has been ripped out at the thought of even trying to understand how you feel.
But let's admit it, he was the most awesome sulcata there is and always will be.

Thank you for your words. Hold Nank and take him places and let others hold him. I spent 80% of my time with Bob. A bond like we had takes years to develop....you can do it with Nank. It takes love and time

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Bob's stories were the first thing I saw when I joined this great forum and I looked forward to hearing about his escapades even though I knew it drove you crazy. I could tell from the beginning that you two had a special bond like no other, why else would anyone put up with his constant nonsense. You (and us) just had to love Bob no matter what he did. Please keep your head up through all this because you gave Bob a life he never would have had elsewhere, and through your sharing we all got to experience Bob's life. You are a wonderful person, and Bob knew that too.