Bob sick?

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

This morning he turned around in his sleeping box so he was facing out and stayed that way all day. I finally pushed him outside at 1PM. He walked around and ate what I gave him then went back inside and is under his basking light. He has not gone under that light for months. He normally spends all day outside. I think he's sick, but he ate...does that make sense? I am worried about him. He's just sitting in there under that light, he did poop tho and that was a normal shaped poop. This morning when I touched his carapace I noticed he was not very warm. I am so stressed out about this. I am leaving on a road trip in 3 days, he can't be sick now. Is it possible he got too cold? He wouldn't eat then at all would he? I have never had to worry about Bob, he's always been healthy and active. He *NEVER* acts like this. I count on him to be healthy...any ideas?

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Maggie,

Has anything else in his setting changed recently? Even the weather? I ask because since he's eating and pooing normal, it could be he's just reacting to some kind of a change. When we were redoing the Leopard torts' pen, Tank stayed in his shed most of the day the day after we finished. He came out later than usual the next day, etc. I worried about him too, but now he's acclimated and back to his old routine. Anyway, I agree that if Bob was sick he wouldn't be eating so try not to worry too much and see how he behaves tomorrow. Hopefully, he'll be back in the groove.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Maggie, don't stress about it. I imagine your weather has been similar to here. One day 80, the next 70 and night temps start dropping into the 50s this time of year. Very unstable and some animals (and people) are more sensitive to the changes than others.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I may be way off base here, because, even though I was born in Oregon, I have no idea what your day-to-day weather is like, but here is my opinion:

Bob is a large tortoise. He maintains his body heat just fine. He could probably go out in the snow and graze for a couple hours without losing too much heat.

So why on earth do you still have a heat light on for him during the hottest days of summer? I think in order for them to be healthy, they need to know a change in temperature from night to day. And if its still hot during the days up there in rusty old Oregon, he doesn't need a day time light. Why should he leave the comfort of his sleeping box to go outside and warm up in the sun, when he's got a built in sun right there inside?

I understand that we tend to disagree on whether or not the tortoises need heat at night, but during the day too?

Yvonne

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
Is he mad at you for leaving in a few days? Can he sense your stress?

chadk

10 Year Member!
When it is 65-70 with clouds and rain, a little heat from the shed is probably a good thing. I do turn mine off when we have a heat wave that lasts for days. I leave it off 24x7 if the day temps are consistently over 80. But lately we've been having nights down in the 40sand day temps down into the 60s.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Awww Magg's, I will pray that Bob isn't sick !!!!! He's probably just overheard you saying at some point that you're going away, he probably senses it. Thoughts are with you my friend, just keep us updated. I am pretty sure my favourite Bob is just being stubborn :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Maggie,
Maybe he just feels lazy and did not want to go outside! I am sure he is fine, if not, he would not eat and poop normally no?

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
I may be way off base here, because, even though I was born in Oregon, I have no idea what your day-to-day weather is like, but here is my opinion:

Bob is a large tortoise. He maintains his body heat just fine. He could probably go out in the snow and graze for a couple hours without losing too much heat.

So why on earth do you still have a heat light on for him during the hottest days of summer? I think in order for them to be healthy, they need to know a change in temperature from night to day. And if its still hot during the days up there in rusty old Oregon, he doesn't need a day time light. Why should he leave the comfort of his sleeping box to go outside and warm up in the sun, when he's got a built in sun right there inside?

I understand that we tend to disagree on whether or not the tortoises need heat at night, but during the day too?

Yvonne

it's on a timer and that's what goes on in the morning to let him know the sun is up and it's time to wake up, then most of the time after he's gone outside I will turn it off. But sometimes I don't turn it off and this was one of those times.
So I agree with you, in my defense, I was just lazy about turning it off.

treshell

5 Year Member
Begs the question on these big guys, How do you get them to a Vet?
Then does anyone go with Chinese thought? I mean giving the tortoise a tonic at the change of each season? My two will get the herbs from the family chicken soup.
tj

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have to have someone come over and help me pick them up and put them into the back of my truck. Then when we get there, someone has to help me put them into the wheel barrow.

So far I've been pretty lucky and haven't had to take a big one to the vet. Also, I'm friends with a vet who used to work at our zoo, and if push comes to shove, she'll come over here and have a look. I don't take advantage of that though. Don't want to wear out my welcome. Also, she's not a mobile vet, so she doesn't have all the "stuff" for a home visit.

Yvonne

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maggie -

How is Bob doing today? Hope he's back on track.

M

Maggie Cummings

Thanks for asking...he got up at his normal time and came outside and plunked down in the sun ignoring all the food I had collected for him, breakfast this morning was Rose of Sharon blooms, pumpkin blooms, grape leafs, dandelions and some trimmings from the produce people. I personally think that is a great breakfast for a bigger Sulcata. So he's now sitting in the sun. So I plunked myself down on the ground in front of him and started slowly rubbing his carapace and talking to him asking him what was wrong? He had tears and his face looked so dry, but I know he drinks from his water dish...and all the sudden he pushes out his back legs stiff as heck and made a godawful noise like the biggest fart ever heard. I know we all know what projectile vomiting is...Bob had projectile pooping. He squirted out liquid/semi firm poop 4 feet out behind him. Well, maybe it was just 4 inches...so I think he has a tummy ache. I've gone over everything I've feed him in the last few days, the only thing it might be is pesticides on the dandelions I collected for him. But Oregon really isn't big on pesticides so that would be very unusual. So I don't know what it might be. But I know now that he has a tummy ache..

when I have to take Bob somewhere my son and his wife pick him up and move him. We put him in the back of their Subaru suv

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie I am glad you at least know what Bobs upset was. Now that is is getting out of his system he should be back to his ol'self soon. Keep us updated please. Sending a tummy rub to Bob :)

chadk

10 Year Member!
Dozer's tummy acts up if I give him too much pumpkin or zuccini - i'm still working on the right balance... (or pizza... just kidding!)

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm glad you now know what's up with him. Tank did something similar a couple days while and after rearranging his pen - I think he gorged on the grass and felt better after a huge poop and pee a couple days after that. But...I also know there was aerial spraying for mosquitos last Friday morning so I wonder if that was it. Anyway, I'm sure Bob will back his old self now and you can enjoy your Montana trip with no worries:)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I am so glad that Bob at least gave you a "big" clue. Maybe once he passes out all of the "ache" material, and his stomach feels better, he will go back to being his normal self. I know when I eat something that "doesn't agree" with my system it takes several days to feel like I'm fully over it.

Bob probably also enjoys having you sit there and pay full attention to him and him alone. There's not a creature in the world that doesn't respond well to that!

M

Maggie Cummings

Stephanie Logan said:
I am so glad that Bob at least gave you a "big" clue. Maybe once he passes out all of the "ache" material, and his stomach feels better, he will go back to being his normal self. I know when I eat something that "doesn't agree" with my system it takes several days to feel like I'm fully over it.

Bob probably also enjoys having you sit there and pay full attention to him and him alone. There's not a creature in the world that doesn't respond well to that!

You can stop being repentant now that you are giving Taco the best care you can...He'll do fine in the future and so will you.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Awww I hope Bob is ok and then I can laugh about the fart! Trevor makes bubbles out his back end in the water sometimes...

Hope Bob is doing better. I can tell when Trevor gets a tummy ache. Same symptoms. I wish I could talk to him and know why, as his diet is rather steady. I think their tummies are rather sensitive so there may be something on the food we can't notice by smell.

spring pace

5 Year Member
topanga, california
morning maggie, i know its early yet and bobs probably not up, but let us know how he is today. i really hope he seems better. glad he did that big old poop, that probably helped. spring

Status
Not open for further replies.