Bob still eating random rocks etc....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
This is an update on my CDts that were eating dirt, rock wood chips etc....in their new tort yard. It is a fairly large area that I have spent months working on, I have a hide, cave, raised garden, tons of plants and I planted a variety if weeds and lettus, radishes and other stuff. Some of it is coming up well.
I have been putting them in their yard every now and then and Shelby is doing great. He/ She nibbles on plants, walks around then find a place to hide. Bob on the other hand trys to eat everything brown. This is strange because he has always been kept on cyperus mulch and has rocks (not small enough to eat) in his indoor tort table. Today I took a piece of wood out of his mouth that was almost as big as his head. I have not gotten the Mina/Vit yet and can't remember where I am suposed to order it, but he/she is getting another vitamin/ mineral powder that I bought at a pet store and always has cuttle bone. I am feeling very disapionted as I was quite excited for them to be able to live like tortoises.
Now we are looking at houses and may be moving this summer. I hope to rent my house to someone that has turtles or torts LOL. We won't be going to far. My husband want to move closer to work, near a high school with a better sports program (for my younger son) and to a more urban community. My husband knows any house we buy has to have a yard for my torts. Any thoughts about Bob's strange behavior?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Does he seek out the rocks and wood? Or does he stroll and seem to hoofed up some a little here and there?

Angi, are you able to walk their enclosure with a little broom and dust panel and sweep up any rocks from the surface of the ground so as to remove an easy opportunity? I know that sounds silly...BUUUUT it will help...also, have you tried making the outside time an opportunity for a big plate of his favorite food offerings so as to stuff him?

Status
Not open for further replies.