Bob

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Yesterday I kept looking outside to keep an eye on Bob as I certainly don't want him going for a walk again. We had a rare sunny day even tho the temperature didn't go much over 50. Anyhow, I never did see him but I was watching my race at the same time so I didn't think too much of not seeing Bob. So after the race was over about 3:30 I went out to Bob's shed and he was still in his sleeping box! His pile of food was untouched. Bob is a pretty much follower of a routine, so I started to worry a little. He never did leave his sleeping box and when I took a treat out for him at the usual time he was in his sleeping box on his pig blanket with his face in the corner. So I called to him and I knocked on his sleeping box to no avail. So I touched his back feet and that made him jerk them in his shell and ram against the corner. There was no way for my to wave the squash under his nose and nothing I did made him come out. He would normally turn around when being pestered like that. So this morning I was more concerned then ever when I took his breakfast out. He was turned around with his face out and when I put his food down he came over and started eating. Whew! I was seriously relieved. I went back out in an hour and he was sound asleep laying on top of his food with his face down. He hadn't eaten much and him sleeping on top of the food was scary to me. So I made sure he saw his doggie door was opened and the fog had lifted but he didn't moved from off his food. I don't know what to think, he has never acted like this before. I'm seriously scared.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California, central coast
Could he just be in a lazy mood? By the way Maggie, how old is Bob? Here in Lompoc the weather is very over cast, my baby seems lazy too. Could it be the weather? I'm sure the other more experienced will post soon, hope it's not anything serious.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Could he be depressed? Wanting winter to end. I'm worried with you, hopefully he'll snap out of it soon.

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
Maggie,
Has he ever been like this before?
Charlie will be hyper active for weeks on end and then just conk for a day or two, wont crawl out of his bedding unless baited with squash. then the next day bam- messing up is enclosure!

M

Maggie Cummings

No, he has never acted like this before...still no change

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Just maybe he doesn't feel good.... not sleeping good....to bad we cant just take there temperatures.. huh?

It might just be the weather, with the storms this weekend, it might effect the air.. arthritis or something like that....

Can you make his house warmer and see if that helps?

M

Maggie Cummings

His shed is 93 degrees. He has a pig blanket that is warm to my hand and a 250 watt Trex basking bulb. So I think he is warm enough...

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
well then, my idea is shot...
well i would increase his vitamins, encase he is fighting off a bug or something...

M

Maggie Cummings

Hard to increase his vitamins when he is not eating...

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
I'm so sorry he's scaring you (and everyone here). Hopefully he'll turn around and start eating the squash soon. Do you have an estimated age on him?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
What about in his water? Is he drinking? what about dipping them on a small piece of fruit he really loves?

I know you want him better, And i dont have that perfect answer for you..

He has made you so mad and worried about escaping/bitting, now if he is worring you cause he isn't eating and being lazy.....What a teenager! you always have to worry!

I would really try to dose him with vitamins, even if you got to squirt a liquid mixed with his vitamins in his mouth via syringe.... cod liver oil is high in A and very thick...... and let him rest....try not offering him food....try what ever makes him mad and see if you can figure him out..

But if he is depressed like some one said before... he will come out of it

Buy him fresh flowers, put them in his destruction range.. and tell him NO! that should get a rise out of him

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
terracolson said:
Buy him fresh flowers, put them in his destruction range.. and tell him NO! that should get a rise out of him

That is a good idea, I think. Maybe Bob will take interest in something so vulnerable to demolition...

I am sure you've already looked for classic symptoms of illness...geez, Maggie, this is kind of the downside of being such an expert on tortoises; there really is no advice anyone can give you.

All we can do is worry with you, and hope that Bob recovers his normal mischievous spirit as soon as possible!

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Stephanie Logan said:
terracolson said:

That is a good idea, I think. Maybe Bob will take interest in something so vulnerable to demolition...

I am sure you've already looked for classic symptoms of illness...geez, Maggie, this is kind of the downside of being such an expert on tortoises; there really is no advice anyone can give you.

All we can do is worry with you, and hope that Bob recovers his normal mischievous spirit as soon as possible!

Yep shes right.. I should just wait for others to comment....

M

Maggie Cummings

I can't even take him to the vet because I think I know about as much as she does. The only thing she could do to help would be a blood test...

I don't think forcing any vitamins at him will accomplish anything. I don't have much belief in them...
Bob is 11 years old this year, I think.

I really am not much of an expert, I am just good in certain areas. I keep telling everyone, I am not an expert, that's my sister...I think I get confused with her.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Well, I'm not going to argue semantics with you, but I'd bet that even Yvonne, who is most certainly a tortoise expert, would label you an expert at raising hatchlings and creating ideal micro-climates for your Chelonians, at least.

You are certainly an expert at caring for Bob. ;)

I've never asked you before, have you had Bob since he was a hatchling?

M

Maggie Cummings

Stephanie Logan said:
Well, I'm not going to argue semantics with you, but I'd bet that even Yvonne, who is most certainly a tortoise expert, would label you an expert at raising hatchlings and creating ideal micro-climates for your Chelonians, at least.

You are certainly an expert at caring for Bob. ;)

I've never asked you before, have you had Bob since he was a hatchling?

No, I've only had him for about 5 years.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If your whole shed is 93 degrees, then its too hot in there. He needs to be able to cool off a bit. My sheds are around 80 degrees ambient temp, with it being hotter under the lights.

chadk

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
If your whole shed is 93 degrees, then its too hot in there. He needs to be able to cool off a bit. My sheds are around 80 degrees ambient temp, with it being hotter under the lights.

That's what I was thinking too... But I'm no expert :)

Status
Not open for further replies.