• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

This morning when I went out to feed Bob his UVB/basking light was
burned out. So I took the old bulb out and put in a flood light bulb
that I had until I could order a new light.
That was about 10 AM...so then I go about my business and I didn't feel
well after I did my chores so I laid down on the couch for most of the
day. About 4PM I took some cactus pads out to Bob...first thing is I
smell smoke, his light is laying on the floor burning the plywood. I
could see smoke coming from the spot under the light and I could see 2
more burn spots, I figure Bob pushed the light around during the day
making the other spots. So I immediately pour his water dish on the
smoking spot and ran to get a knife and I scraped the burned spot and
kept pouring water on it. The whole time I am doing that Bob is pretty
still just watching me. So I get the light rehung, wrapped some more
wire on it to hold it better then sat on Bob's sleeping box while I
tried not to have a heart attack. Bob stayed still just watching
me...that's when I see that his right eye is covered with bubbles.
Covered in foam, and closed. I can't tell you how awful I feel. I put
terramycin ointment in the eye right away. It is swollen and
whitish/pinkish. He must have tipped the hood of the light up somehow
and burned his eye. Of course it's 3 minutes to 5 as all this is
happening and the Vet is closing...
I don't always go out there in the evening...thank God I did this time!
He would have burned up! How awful! Now I am afraid the hot got down
under the plywood and into the insulation...So I'm on my way back out
there to feel the floor and pour some more water...and to look at his
eye again...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cadillac, Michigan
Oh no! Poor Bob. I am so glad you found it in time and his shed did not burn up!

I know it is no consolation, but accidents happen.

You and Bob are both in my thoughts.

Kristina

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Oh maggie, poor bob. :( I am so sorry to hear about his eye. I hope he and you are ok. Keep us posted on how he is.

Dawna

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Oh. my gosh. How scary! Somebody was watching over you and Bob!
A few years ago my outdoor dog kennel burned down after rats chewed thru the electical wires. I wasn't as luck as you. I lost 14 toy breed dogs in the fire. I can still see it like it was yesterday.
I am always worried about a fire while I am gone cause I have so many lights going. Since I live in a trailer, the electrical system isn't as good as a house wiring.
I am so glad for you that Bob didn't get hurt any worse than he did. You might want to give him a big long soak tomorrow and check everywhere for burns.
Good luck
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If the bulb is all the way up inside the bell of the fixture, I don't think he burned his eye. More than likely, he was being Bob, and ramming that new ugly thing that appeared in his shed and injured his eye somehow. You say there were three burn spots, and that tells me that the fixture didn't turn up for the bulb to be exposed to Bob. I've seen bubbles in the corners of Dudley's eye on occasion. I think its too dry conditions. But in Bob's case, he probably had some sort of injury, but I don't think burned.

Tomorrow I'm going to double check that all my light fixtures are solidly attached! Thanks for the reminder and I hope Bob gets well soon!

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow that's a scary story. I hope Bob and you both recover smoothly. Best wishes. Thanks for the reminder to everyone to check heating & lights.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob's eye is injured but I can't see how. It's swollen shut and weeping. I'm putting terramycin eye ointment in it and hoping that will help heal it. He didn't get up this morning. I had to rub his carapace and talk to him for about 15 minutes before he came out of his sleeping box. But he refused the food. I think he was traumatized by the event and I'm hoping he will get over it today with things back to normal...

M

Maggie Cummings

K9KidsLove said:
Hi...Oh. my gosh. How scary! Somebody was watching over you and Bob!
A few years ago my outdoor dog kennel burned down after rats chewed thru the electical wires. I wasn't as luck as you. I lost 14 toy breed dogs in the fire. I can still see it like it was yesterday.
I am always worried about a fire while I am gone cause I have so many lights going. Since I live in a trailer, the electrical system isn't as good as a house wiring.
I am so glad for you that Bob didn't get hurt any worse than he did. You might want to give him a big long soak tomorrow and check everywhere for burns.
Good luck
Patsy

That must have been just awful for you. I can imagine that is something you just never get over. I feel very fortunate that I discovered the situation before it became a fire...I just cannot imagine how I would feel to lose Bob that way...there's no way for me to soak him. He's close to 100 pounds and I live here alone. My son comes over to help me on occasion but he wouldn't come just to soak Bob...but I did check him all over looking for burns, but I wouldn't have, so thanks for the suggestion to do that. I don't see any burns or scratches on him...
I live in a manufactured home and am constantly tripping the breakers. I have to turn off tortoise lights in order to use the hair dryer or vacuum...:p

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Sorry to hear about Bob. I am sure you will take good care of him. Those darn lights are scary!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
You two are in my thoughts! Keep us updated! Your intuition is what had you get up...its uncanny how sharp it is, when it comes to those we love, animal or people.

I'm so glad you found him in time!

MarysTort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
California
Wow..... I am so sorry for you and Bob! Hope he heals well.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's too cold to spray him down, and the hoses are frozen anyway. I just spent some time with him and I have to say he is really traumatized by this. He is very quiet and just laid with his head on my legs (I was sitting on the floor) and he closed his eye and just laid there like that. I think I napped too, it was all warm and quiet in the shed...:rolleyes:
Anyhow, his eye is swollen and weepy like I said but I can't see any actual injury. But now I am wondering about smoke inhalation. The smoke coming off the floor was about the same as a cigarette. I've run the vaporizer all day trying to moisten the air out there...but I can still smell the smoke...

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hmmmm, I wonder if maybe it is smoke irritation in his eye... I would maybe rinse it with saline solution (like Visine) and keep up with the terramycin. I can't think of anything else that would work.

Smoke smell takes a LONG time to kill. Those particles get in everything. We had a house fire years ago (thankfully didn't lose the whole house) but I remeber it stunk for a LONG time.

Poor Bob, I feel so bad for him. I hope he starts feeling better very soon.

Kristina

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Will he let you put a cool wet towel like a compress on it? I would normally say warm but if your unsure about a burn cool is better. You could try adding something good smelling in the vaporizor - I know cinnamon, vanilla or some spices in boiling water give off a odor covering nice smell.

Hugs for both of you.

Dawna

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Can you install a smoke detector in his shed? If it goes off will you hear it from the house?
Hope you both are going to be ok..

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
They might even make ones now with the sensor and the sound emitter separate or even wireless.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie, so sorry to read about Bob. And how tramatic for you also. My heart goes out to you both. Hugs from my house to yours. I know you are worried about Bob's eye, and feel bad, but remember you were trying to keep him comfortable and utimately saved his life. Now the healing begins for you both.

M

Maggie Cummings

I had the cord to Bob's light tied up out of tortoise reach with a thin wire. This morning we found a piece of that wire in Bob's eye. It was removed and he should be fine.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Glad you found that! Hope he's healing well. That was quite the scare for you two.

Status
Not open for further replies.