Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

Here's a couple of pictures of Bob, I know ya'll missed him.
I have a "Bob" story for you.
I walked out my back door to go check on Bob who was out in his pen, so I go out the door and there he is! At first I thought I must be sleeping because tortoises can't climb stairs. But no...I was awake and Bob had knocked over 3 heavy cinder blocks one which had a stake in it. He forced himself thru the space made by knocking the blocks down chipping his carapace on both sides in the process.
He squashed half a bed of my strawberry crop.
24fxn9e.jpg

He knocked over a 40 pound ceramic goose breaking off his beak
2rghzd3.jpg

then he climbed up SEVEN...7...!!! stairs to get to my deck.
He was on my deck! In case you don't understand...an almost 100 pound tortoise climbed up seven stairs to get up to my deck.
11v1c9c.jpg

He could have continued across the deck and down 5 stairs to the street and gone for a walk.
1449xsz.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to get him back to his pen. I feel lucky that he didn't climb down the 5 stairs to the street and be gone. I tried to push him down the stairs like a sled. But he just braced his front legs and wouldn't budge. I sat on the deck with my butt against his and pushed with all my might. Not gonna happen. He is SO strong! but then I remembered his cart...So off I ran...(this picture from last year)
2iaz886.jpg

Now one handed I have to get the cart and a 100 pound tortoise down the same 7 stairs. I put the handle against my stomach and just bumped him down those stairs and back to his pen...What a shock it was to see him on my deck. I was stunned, I really couldn't believe it. A couple of hours later I found him on his back, so I got him up on his side and waited for him to get his legs out of the way, but he just gave a big jerk and I heard a crack and he plopped down on his plastron. He chipped his gular scute down to the bone. So that's me and Bob recently. Here's a couple of pictures of him and his bumpy nose. See how his nose is all pushed up? Are there any other Sulcatas out there with a pushed up nose like that???
1568q51.jpg

s4b6dv.jpg

29mwpxj.jpg

34g0gox.jpg

2d9s1aw.jpg

So that's your Bob adventure for the day. I hope you enjoyed it...

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Are your cinder blocks filled with dirt?
We have 1 x10 20 foot boards and staked them. my torts dont push and we hve them two high so cant get over.

M

Maggie Cummings

BTW...he hasn't tried to escape since his last adventure...

BigBiscuit

5 Year Member
Iowa, U.S.
I read your first line "Here's a couple pictures of Bob" so my eyes jumped to the first picture of the little ceramic sea turtle. I was like, ummm, I don't remember Bob like that. Then I read on. He is such a character.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Ohhhhh I love Bob and his stories. He is soooo cute. Maggie I love all of your plants by your door and I noticed what I think is a Dale Earnhardt matt in front of your door. We always love stories about Bob. How's Big Bubba doing these days? Candy

chadk

10 Year Member!
I'm a proud member of the bob fan club!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Holy Tort! That must of been quite a surprise! I am surprised he didn't eat all of your plants!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Maggie: I really love your Bob stories...and I especially love the pictures you take. You're getting pretty darned good with that camera.

Welcome back...I'm sorry to hear that you weren't feeling well.

Y

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I love Bob stories, but just wish you didn't have such adventures. So was he trying to let you know he was waiting for his supper? Geez, just so glad you went outside when you did.

M

Maggie Cummings

Jacqui said:
I love Bob stories, but just wish you didn't have such adventures. So was he trying to let you know he was waiting for his supper? Geez, just so glad you went outside when you did.

I had a friend tell me she thinks Bob was looking for me because he sees me go up the stairs, so that's just what he did. Because it doesn't make sense that he climbed the stairs when there was a yard full of stuff to eat and plants to squish, growing lilies and pumpkins. So it was decided that he climbed the stairs looking for me. I kinda like that thought, it's sweet...he really does follow me around like a puppy...

BigBiscuit said:
I read your first line "Here's a couple pictures of Bob" so my eyes jumped to the first picture of the little ceramic sea turtle. I was like, ummm, I don't remember Bob like that. Then I read on. He is such a character.

ha ha, gotcha, and I wasn't even tryin...:D

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
LOL Bob is just too funny !!! How AMAZING that he climbed up all those stairs Maggie ! I BET he was definitely looking for you. I like that thought too, looking for his mommy (a 100pound Sulcata heehee) I too am a major fan in the Bob Fan Club :p

:eek: I just converted KG to lb = Bob weighs almost exactly the same as me ! Now THATS a weird thought!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Wow, Bob has a huge personality, it must be beautiful to see :). Maggie, did Bob scream ''SURPRISE" when you saw him on the deck :D. You must have been so happy he did not go in the street. I am glad he did that only once. Thanks for the Bob story, I always enjoy them. On the last pic, he looks like he wants to play :D So cute...

Weloveourtortoise

5 Year Member
Gardner, MA
LOL! Bob stories always make me laugh! He most definately had to have been looking for you, which is why he didn't just want to go back to his pen. Thanks for the pics, they are great!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Maggie, thanks for the chuckle. I to was got! I spent some time looking at the first pic looking for Bob. LOL Bob is so great, I Love his adventures, thou I think he needs to take it a little easier on his mom. Maybe you could tempt him back down the stairs with a treat??? Then I don't know if you really want to teach him how to go up and down stairs. :) I too think he was looking for you. Torts (IMO) are smart and it wouldn't surprise me he was lookin for his mom.

M

Maggie Cummings

*IF* he was looking for me I know it's because he can't get the strawberry package open by himself just yet...lol
You know when my strawberry patch gets ripe and he can smell them he's gonna go insane!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.