Bobby (red Foot) slow to open eyes.

kellya31

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Bobby woke up the morning and did not want to open his eyes. He finally did, but it took a long time. He opened them during his soak. In his habitat he refuses to eat kale or mustard greens. The only thing he ate was a nibble of green pepper, which seemed to tough for him even though i cut it tiny and with no skin. he ate a tiny bit of mango too yesterday.
I put him outside in the wild clover and dandilions and he perked up and liked crawling and began eating on the tender clover. His eyes became shiny not dull and listless and looking sunk in. He was much happier and active.
I have ordered a CHE and have been misting his habitat, he seems very depressed and sluggish in it.
He had crawled into one of hiding spots and hadnt moved all night. Again I listened for wet breathing. and he doesnt have a runny nose.
What do you all think?
I wont leave him out at night because I have nothing prepared for him. the weather is still unpredictable at night too here in Indiana. Anyway he is so small I wouldnt leave him out anyway. I am afraid something will eat him.
If he does it again, which I hope he doesnt! do it again, not opening his eyes., I will take a picture of it

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I would still give him some time. He should come around. Mine stayed in his hide for almost a month straight and ate very little when I first got him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We will need more info. Pics of enclosure will help. Also what are the temps day and night, and Thor of bulbs heat using. Humidity, diet items, the few you mentioned is not a big enough variety. How often do you soak? I pic of him and how long you have had him will also help.

kellya31

Indiana
THank YOU!!!
I am a little neurotic here.
You would not believe how different he is acting in the grass.
I think he is cold too in the house.. He feels really cool when I pick him up in the mornings. I have the ceramic heat emitter coming. Here is his enclosure for now. Any suggestions or problems seen would be greatly appreciated.
Ya know what though. I’ve had him outside for two hours, and he is like a little machine. Eyes bright, very active and curious. It’s 90 degrees here today.
I am going to post a few pics and a couple short videos in a moment. Yawning and in the hosta ;);):tort:jungle.

Attachments

• A7187F4C-79B4-466F-9B06-4751E2000B69.jpeg
    A7187F4C-79B4-466F-9B06-4751E2000B69.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

daniellenc

Maryland
Is that a UVB light? Do a search on here for closed chamber set-ups. @TechnoCheese has a thread now with red foot enclosures as well to view. He needs his entire cage moist, humid, and a minimum of 80 degrees completely closed off to keep heat and humidity in.

daniellenc

Maryland
Oh yes a 30 minute soak in warm water like 90-105 degrees is perfect but won't cover his humidity needs. Remember they come from the steamy jungle hence the need for a closed sealed top if you want him happy, healthy, and not pyramided.

kellya31

Indiana
Is that a UVB light? Do a search on here for closed chamber set-ups. @TechnoCheese has a thread now with red foot enclosures as well to view. He needs his entire cage moist, humid, and a minimum of 80 degrees completely closed off to keep heat and humidity in.
It’s called a mini. uvb, with a basking light too.
I’m hosing off the lid to that tote so I can at least cover his box 3/4.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's good he is enjoying his outdoor time. Be careful not to leave him in the sun too long without shade.

kellya31

Indiana
It's good he is enjoying his outdoor time. Be careful not to leave him in the sun too long without shade.
Thanks. He isn’t in much danger because I can’t stand the heat either without shade. I’m going to have to research some out door enclosures but he is so small I think I’ll just walk him like a puppy for now

kellya31

Indiana
My ceramic heat emitter came in. I saw where someone had put aluminum foil over their enclosure which I thought was genius to keep heat and moisture in, the plastic cover isnt going to work for me with the uvb light above. I’m trying it out right now to see if I can get the habitat regulated.
One of these days he is going to have a rockin fabulous house.
Thanks again everyone for all the info. It’s been invaluable.

daniellenc

Maryland
You can screw the light into the top. $10 tube housing from Home Depot. Put on a flat surface and drill slow so not to crack it. Then I cut a hole in the top and wrapped in foil