Bobs at it again with the fern

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
It still just amazes me how the erosa devour ferns. Bob always gets up in them once up they're eaten down to almost nothing. Such interesting habits this species has. See the one in the back too? That fern was massive only a few weeks ago.
image.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You get can ferns cheaply at hardware stores, but I wouldn't count on them being clean...
How strange, ferns seem like a weird food item!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's in the name "Bob". Bobs are naughty, just ask Maggie:D btw, what kind of Fern is it?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Where do you order them from?
Where I get my local grown greens and produce. The owner knows an organic plant grower. Ever Wednesday(from spring to summer) she gets them in. Also got a bunch of bell pepper plants too. Trying out growing my own stuff,

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
It's in the name "Bob". Bobs are naughty, just ask Maggie:D btw, what kind of Fern is it?
Haha yeah. Boston and macho ferns. I think they're on the no no eat list actually(have to check again)But going 3-4 years and seeing no issues. They love them.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Very interesting, I put some fern in my homeana enclosure and it looked like it was eaten, I thought it was the slugs and snails. mmmm
This is the fern I put in, loads of it in my garden. Is this Boston Fern?

IMG_20150424_183110.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Looks like it. They love ferns.
Cool. I'll put some more in. I got my 2 new female Homeana on Monday. They,ve just started to come around now. I'll post you some pictures this weekend. There carapaces are much thicker than the 4 I already had, does this mean they are likely to be older.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Cool. Yeah probably so. Just have to look at the pics really. I have found that to be true in most cases with tortoises. Really thick keratin and worn super smooth almost patternless scutes tend to be aged specimens.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Cool. Yeah probably so. Just have to look at the pics really. I have found that to be true in most cases with tortoises. Really thick keratin and worn super smooth almost patternless scutes tend to be aged specimens.
I'll start a thread tomorrow with detailed photos so you can look. There plastrons curl down near the neck end. Looks really good. The larger female laid an egg in the box in transit, but crushed it.