Boiled Egg

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickyb

5 Year Member
Time to feed the "protein" part of the diet. I am currently boiling an egg for her.. she is 3.5 inches (length of shell)... how much should I feed her? Half an egg? One whole egg? Include the yoke?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
As much as he/she wants :p Just give a bit at a time till he/she walks away. Than you know how much to feed next time.

Danny

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Egg? What do you boost the protein for?

vickyb

5 Year Member
Its just that I have read in a number of places that RedFoots need a certain amount of protein in their diet in the form of worm (naturally occurring in outdoor enclosures) or then low fat cat food or Egg....

I am a new Redfoot owner.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
I see. Earthworms are fairly cheap and last forever in some soil. Chop them up if they won't eat a whole one.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Boiled egg is fine, you can even include some of the shell for extra crunch and calcium. (I know some would argue to break or crush the shell, but I think the more whole it is, the better the tortoise itself can bite off what it wants properly. Just FYI- egg often makes the dropping smell bad, probably due to the sulphur in the eggs.

For the amount, I would guess about 1/4th to 1/3rd of the egg- but Dan has a good idea.

Worms are good to. It is just a personal opinion, but I now prefer whole, live or nearly so 'meats'- worms, pinkies, soft-shelled caterpillars (Superworms, Phoenix Worms, silkworms, etc.) when possible. I also use egg, cooked chicken, low-cal/low-fat cat kibble, etc.

You may also be interesting in knowing that there is a lot of disagreement as to how much meat a Red-foot really needs, with some experts saying they really don't need it as long as there is good UVB light available (for the vitamin D3), although about the most common consensus is an occasional meat meal- once or twice a month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.