Bok choy & sweet potatoes ----good or bad for Russian torts?

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I read on another website (russiantortoise.net) that Bok choy was to be avoided and somewhere else that the sweet potato itself was not good for Russian torts. I just reviewed a list posted on this Tortoise forum and it states Bok choy can be given and the sweet potato occasionally. I had actually bought some Bok choy for my russian tort a couple of weeks ago but ended up not giving it to him since I reviewed the list I had from the other website and Bok choy was listed as "to avoid".

I would love to offer Boris more variety so if anyone can help clarify if Bok choy & sweet potato are safe to give, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I give anything to my tortoises that is safe for me to eat. However, I don't feed it all the time. So a little bok choy today and then none for a month or so isn't going to hurt your tortoise. Same with yams or sweet potatoes. I think you'll find that the tortoise doesn't eat them all that well anyway.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
I give my Hermann's sweet potato peelings every now and again. He will have a nibble. He seems fine...

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Thanks. I will try them and see if he likes them.