Bolivian update for Anyfoot...

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Craig.. @Anyfoot emailed me and asked for an update on the Bolivians..

2016 hatched -

The one on the left is maybe a month or so older and a little bigger -

Younger on right different head patterns and color obviously -

** that's 'curly-endive' they are munchin' on ++

There you are Craig...
Looking good, bright red like the Brazilian form.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm a bit confused with the Bolivian redfoot and where it fits in, Someone is going to have to clear this up for me. We have the northern form above the Amazon river, then the Brazilian form in Brazil and the Chaco form 'giants' in Paraguay and northern Argentina.
What's in Bolivia?
I'll say it how I'm thinking and you guys can correct me.
I'm thinking there are 2 forms in Bolivia, towards the north of Bolivia there are the Brazilian form and towards the SE they are the Chaco form(Paraguayan form).

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@Anyfoot .. what about the Central and SW [ you call them forms ? ] Bolivia redfoots Craig.

How about: "This redfoot originates from here.. and has these characteristics .. etc., etc., etc.

There are mainly 3 [ some claim 4 ] "breeders" that have had anything to do with the availability of Bolivian redfoot tortoises these days. They all acquired their adults from the same shipment(s) in the early '80's - reportedly from Bolivia. Some of their hatchlings over the past 10 years are red and yellow and orange and mix of all three. Some have virtually black plastrons and varying to only the bottom half is dark.. none of which from the 'main-land' have any of the typical plastron marbling of the Brazilian border traits.

And my opinion is that there have been a multitude of breeding's throughout the southern redfoot range that have created all of the mix just described. I know of at least one breeder who chose a particular COLOR from those original shipments.. and possibly the same for the others -- I've not seen their breed stock.

All of mine that are 2 years or older have a variety of colors, etc. - will get pics ASAP

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@Redfoot NERD please show plastron. when exactly hatched? im interested about age-size

@cyclopunx - will have to ask about exact hate date.

Since Bolivian's are of the 'giant' ones [ and I've not raised from hatchlings yet ] .. I can only speculate they grow bigger quicker.. that's a safe statement isn't it?

I will guess these are June/July hatched (?)

A good 2.75" and more orange.. taken today using no flash -

Top view -

Plastron colors starting -

Smaller 2.5" and more red -

Top view -

Plastron -