Bonnie and Clyde strike Central Texas again!

Nyquilzzz

Location (City and/or State)
TEXAS
D94FD294-76BE-4F49-8FF6-2499C6CF1CC7.jpeg 5CCED625-21A1-45CE-A82D-A3BDD7CBAD7D.jpeg My screen name is Nyquil (childhood nickname). I inherited a pair of sulcata tortoises last week. They were much, much bigger than anticipated. The I’d been shown had nothing for size reference, but they were only three years old. One is male and one is female. Bonnie and Clyde. They are both walking around, but only one seems to be eating and approaching the water. Both have pooped. I’m getting worried. We tried to hang outside in the lawn yesterday, but the temperature dropped as soon as we got settled in the grass.
I read that one may bully the other from eating and drinking. I decided that what I thought was a cute, quirky tortoise thing, getting in a single file line, was actually a maneuver to keep a buddy tortoise from getting nourishment. Not as cute, right? So, now I feed them separately. I’m worried that they’ll starve or dehydrate if they don’t start consuming more soon.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
You are correct in realizing that they are bullying each other, and that it’s not a cute show of affection. They need to be housed completely separately in their own enclosures.

Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! I know you think they're big, but they may still be too small to sex.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Love the pic. You picked up the bullying fast, congrats. Yes you will need to separate them or find another female of same size and with lots of site barriers and lots of property for them they could possibly live as a group. One Male with one female, he will try to breed her to illness or death.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Read the care sheets for sulcata's here. If you have any questions ask away. Many knowledgeable members here with the most updated information.
Nice looking torts. Love the names.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Welcome from a fellow Texan! I I have one about the same size as yours... he looked to be a female in his shell qualifications and still does to some extent... except he’s PROVEN himself to be a male.... LOL.. have fun with your new Torts and congratulations!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings.....two babies! Cute..... :-j

Id suggest giving each one a nice long warm water bath/soaking. Yep, fill up your tub with nice luke warm water and soak your guys. This will help them hydrate, exercise and relax. Not cold, or cool. Nice quite warm water since it cools down, you will want to top it up a few times with warmer water to maintain temps.

Good luck... have fun

Nyquilzzz

TEXAS
View attachment 265365 View attachment 265363 My screen name is Nyquil (childhood nickname). I inherited a pair of sulcata tortoises last week. They were much, much bigger than anticipated. The I’d been shown had nothing for size reference, but they were only three years old. One is male and one is female. Bonnie and Clyde. They are both walking around, but only one seems to be eating and approaching the water. Both have pooped. I’m getting worried. We tried to hang outside in the lawn yesterday, but the temperature dropped as soon as we got settled in the grass.
I read that one may bully the other from eating and drinking. I decided that what I thought was a cute, quirky tortoise thing, getting in a single file line, was actually a maneuver to keep a buddy tortoise from getting nourishment. Not as cute, right? So, now I feed them separately. I’m worried that they’ll starve or dehydrate if they don’t start consuming more soon.
Greetings.....two babies! Cute..... :-j

Id suggest giving each one a nice long warm water bath/soaking. Yep, fill up your tub with nice luke warm water and soak your guys. This will help them hydrate, exercise and relax. Not cold, or cool. Nice quite warm water since it cools down, you will want to top it up a few times with warmer water to maintain temps.

Good luck... have fun
How deep should the water be? I put them in my bathtub one at a time with warm water only in the deep end. One ventured near but didn’t go in. The other turned away all together. I’m feeling like a bad torti mom already.

Nyquilzzz

TEXAS
Welcome from a fellow Texan! I I have one about the same size as yours... he looked to be a female in his shell qualifications and still does to some extent... except he’s PROVEN himself to be a male.... LOL.. have fun with your new Torts and congratulations!
Oh, No! I best that’s an amusing story.

Nyquilzzz

TEXAS
Welcome to the forum. Read the care sheets for sulcata's here. If you have any questions ask away. Many knowledgeable members here with the most updated information.
Nice looking torts. Love the names.

Where do I find the care sheets?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How deep should the water be? I put them in my bathtub one at a time with warm water only in the deep end. One ventured near but didn’t go in. The other turned away all together. I’m feeling like a bad torti mom already.

Don’t feel like that. Your not bad, just new. We have all been there.. I’m still there sometimes:). fill the bath about a Couple inches.. don’t give them the option to not be in the water. Just Ip to the bottom of the neck. Think “hot tub” or spa:)IMG_0942.jpg

You’ll find care sheets under Browse,species, African, Sulcata.. someone here will probably pin them to your thread for you:)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Don’t feel like that. Your not bad, just new. We have all been there.. I’m still there sometimes:). fill the bath about a Couple inches.. don’t give them the option to not be in the water. Just Ip to the bottom of the neck. Think “hot tub” or spa:)View attachment 265457

You’ll find care sheets under Browse,species, African, Sulcata.. someone here will probably pin them to your thread for you:)

Yep.... high enough to soak and float.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
For how long? Can they soak together?
Soak for a 1/2hr in warm water up to where the top and bottom shell meet. Or up to the bottom of neck.Dont let the water cool down. I wouldn't soak together because they have a tendency to urinate and poop in the water.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
How awesome that you were able to adopt them! And it looks like they are starting to figure things out at their new place. Best of luck with them. I am hoping to become a sully owner in the near future as well. Your original thread caught my eye because I was born and raised in Temple!