Books books and more books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Since I take the train to go to work and then another one to come back home (2h20 in total) every week day, I have a lot of time to read. I like all kinds of books. My favorite authors are Nicholas Sparks, Stephenie Meyer, Meg Cabot, Sophie Kinsela, Emily Giffin, Sarah Mlinowski & Gemma Townley. I just fnished the third book of the Twilight Saga, this saga is amazinggg :D I cant wait to read the last one (Breaking Dawn). Sometimes, I am not too sure about what book to buy. My friends and me read all the same books so sometimes I get out of ideas (like right now). So now here is my question, what kind of book do you like and who are your favorite authors?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Isa said:
Since I take the train to go to work and then another one to come back home (2h20 in total) every week day, I have a lot of time to read. I like all kinds of books. My favorite authors are Nicholas Sparks, Stephenie Meyer, Meg Cabot, Sophie Kinsela, Emily Giffin, Sarah Mlinowski & Gemma Townley. I just fnished the third book of the Twilight Saga, this saga is amazinggg :D I cant wait to read the last one (Breaking Dawn). Sometimes, I am not too sure about what book to buy. My friends and me read all the same books so sometimes I get out of ideas (like right now). So now here is my question, what kind of book do you like and who are your favorite authors?

Many years ago I read the "Eden Series", bY Marilyn Harris. I don't have the books any more and just bought them from Barns and Nobel...out of print books. I just read some reviews from people who are buying these out of print books again. There are 7 books in all. They are a little dark, but you won't be able to put them down.
The Other Eden
The Prince of Eden
The Eden Passion
The Woman of Eden
Eden Rising
American Eden
Eden and Honor
They are not Romance novels. Very good reading.
A great book just came out and is on Opra's book club today
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
by David Wroblewski

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
some of my favorite books are Brave New World (Huxley), 20,000 Leagues... and Robinson Crusoe
right now im reading The Complete Walker (Fletcher/Rawlins) its about backpacking and hiking. I've been meaning to pick up My First Summer in the Sierra by John Muir.
Tonight I picked up a PHP/MySQL book so I can learn more web programming stuff. I never read as much as I would like to but if something really grabs my interest, I'll usually finish it.....eventually ;)

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
have you read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini? my girlfriend really liked that book and she just finished reading another one of his...A Thousand Splendid Suns which she also enjoyed.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
josh said:
have you read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini? my girlfriend really liked that book and she just finished reading another one of his...A Thousand Splendid Suns which she also enjoyed.

I heard good comments about that author. Thanks Josh I just added them to my list :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I'm presently reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. A fine fanatasy in the tradition of Stephen King

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My favorites are mysteries. I love Janet Evanovich, **** Francis and Sandra Brown. Carl Hiaasen's series about a worn out old tree hugger in Florida is VERY entertaining! I read two or three books a week, and I've saved every book I've ever bought. One bedroom in my house has wall-to-wall/floor-to-ceiling shelves and they are almost all filled up. When the $$ run short and I can't afford to buy a new book to read, I re-read some of them. Its a little scary because sometimes they don't seem the least little bit familiar.

Yvonne

I see our new program has a bit of a glitch in it. I've tried to say the one of my favorite authors is **** Francis, and it comes out *** Francis.

Yvonne

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
sorry about that yvonne... the software comes with some word filters for our other 4-letter friends.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
My favorites are mysteries. I love Janet Evanovich, **** Francis and Sandra Brown. Carl Hiaasen's series about a worn out old tree hugger in Florida is VERY entertaining! I read two or three books a week, and I've saved every book I've ever bought. One bedroom in my house has wall-to-wall/floor-to-ceiling shelves and they are almost all filled up. When the $$ run short and I can't afford to buy a new book to read, I re-read some of them. Its a little scary because sometimes they don't seem the least little bit familiar.

Yvonne

I see our new program has a bit of a glitch in it. I've tried to say the one of my favorite authors is **** Francis, and it comes out *** Francis.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne :D

O wow, you must have a lot of books :) Me Too I keep all the books I read (in case I want to reread them again).

A

Amy

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns and really enjoyed it... Now I was thinking of reading Life of Pi by Yan Martel.. Anyone read it? If so, fill me in on your thoughts!

I wanna be in a book club btw... It would kick my butt into reading more which I need to do!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just finished reading The Lizard King by Brian Christy. I had to skim an awful lot of it, but it gives pretty good insight into smuggling in tortoises and snakes, etc. There are quite a few "known" names mentioned in the book too.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Amy
Me too I would like to be in a book club because reading is my second favorite hobby (after taking care of my Hermy of course :D ). There is a store in Canada, it is like the Canadian version of Barnes & Nobles but it is called Chapters. I know that Chapters has a book club (a virtual one) I did not have the time to subscibe yet. Maybe you could check if Barnes & Nobles offers the same thing.

Thanks for the suggestions Yvonne, Laura and Tim & Robin.

Tim & Robin, I checked the story of Outlander on Amazon and the story looks amazing.

ArkansasKelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NW Arkansas
I like my paranormal books along with some mystery romances. I just got done reading several of Jude Devereaux books and I think she is great.

Iris Johansen writes some great mystery romance novels, but may be a little "graphic" to some. LOL

Some other favs are Amanda Ashley, L.L. Foster, Sherrily Kenyan, Linsay Sands and Christine FeeHan. I love those dark novels. LOL

ARKelly

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Kelly, if you like mystery romances, try Nora Roberts. She has written hundreds of books, some under a different name. I loved all of them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
terryo said:
Kelly, if you like mystery romances, try Nora Roberts. She has written hundreds of books, some under a different name. I loved all of them.

Don't you just LOVE the Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb series featuring Lt. Eve Dallas? I just can't wait for the next one to come out. I'm continually searching the book lists to see if there's a new one.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the suggestions ARKelly

Terry, I heard a lot of very good comments about Nora Roberts. Have you read a lot of her books?

Yvonne, is JD RObb is her Pseudoname?

Status
Not open for further replies.