Boosting the Humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
Here is my Sulcata's enclosure. I am having trouble boosting his humidity. Can anyone please help me or recommend how I can do this? Thanks.

lunapic_126314303140326_1.jpg

lunapic_126314303140326_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Your substrate looks VERY DRY! What really helps with the humidity is to have the substrate slightly moist under the dry top layer. It looks like you are using dirt?? You would just make mud if you add water. Why don't you take out the dirt and put in some cypress mulch, then if you want the dirt you can add it back over the top, but wet the cypress mulch first.

Add some plants to the enclosure. They help to hold in the humidity.

Partially cover the habitat.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Reptileguy92 said:
Here is my Sulcata's enclosure. I am having trouble boosting his humidity. Can anyone please help me or recommend how I can do this? Thanks.

That does look very dry and dusty. I have never had luck with humidity and a tortoise table. Without redoing your set up, I would suggest using a layer of leaf litter on top of the dirt and then add some water to the dirt, but not too much water - you don't want mud. If you are affraid that you will make mud, then had water slowly under the heat light.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Don't think of humidity as a problem that needs to be solved for the entire enclosure (ambient humidity), but rather see what you can do to provide a humid area that your tort will enjoy digging in, sleeping in, etc. Could just be one corner of the area or a humid hide.

The table you have is awesome, but small for the size of the tort. Hopefully it gets some outside time to roam and graze in a safe yard.

I usually provide 2 basking areas. One area would be the hot end with the day bulb (MVB usually) pointing straight down to provide a basking spot of 90-100. Then I have a plastic bin that is about 6 inches deep, 1.5ft wide and 2ft long. I'd put that on the opposite end and fill with a substrate that holds mosture and allows them to borrow down into it. I have a covered area in one part of tile slate so they can climb on top or dig under safely. Then above the slate I have my CHE on 24X7 to give them a a warm humid sleeping area under the tile or a nice basking area on top. Of course the need a ramp to get up and down and this is usually a tile that allows them to get exercise and trip their nails as they climb up and down.

Just a few thoughts... gotta run!

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
chadk said:
Don't think of humidity as a problem that needs to be solved for the entire enclosure (ambient humidity), but rather see what you can do to provide a humid area that your tort will enjoy digging in, sleeping in, etc. Could just be one corner of the area or a humid hide.

The table you have is awesome, but small for the size of the tort. Hopefully it gets some outside time to roam and graze in a safe yard.

I usually provide 2 basking areas. One area would be the hot end with the day bulb (MVB usually) pointing straight down to provide a basking spot of 90-100. Then I have a plastic bin that is about 6 inches deep, 1.5ft wide and 2ft long. I'd put that on the opposite end and fill with a substrate that holds mosture and allows them to borrow down into it. I have a covered area in one part of tile slate so they can climb on top or dig under safely. Then above the slate I have my CHE on 24X7 to give them a a warm humid sleeping area under the tile or a nice basking area on top. Of course the need a ramp to get up and down and this is usually a tile that allows them to get exercise and trip their nails as they climb up and down.

Just a few thoughts... gotta run!

Hi Chadk thank you very much. Would you be able to post a picture of what the plastic bin looks like? Sounds like a great idea!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Sure. Not the best pics, but should give you an idea of what I used for my little sulcata when I first got it:

20308_37038_Large_fKEoMYMQS6zxt6X.jpg

20308_37039_Large_IasogEGaBzkI.jpg

20308_37041_Large_mk1HTUl1LW0w.jpg

I made some changes not long after that. Put the CHE above the flat tile over the humid hide \ plastic bin. Then put the basking MVB in the middle (instead - had plenty of cool spots, so the center worked ok)...

Reptileguy92

5 Year Member
chadk said:
Sure. Not the best pics, but should give you an idea of what I used for my little sulcata when I first got it:

20308_37038_Large_fKEoMYMQS6zxt6X.jpg

20308_37039_Large_IasogEGaBzkI.jpg

20308_37041_Large_mk1HTUl1LW0w.jpg

I made some changes not long after that. Put the CHE above the flat tile over the humid hide \ plastic bin. Then put the basking MVB in the middle (instead - had plenty of cool spots, so the center worked ok)...

Wow what a great setup! What substrate do you recommend putting in the humid/moisture box?

chadk

10 Year Member!
It is mainly just organic garden soil. Probably a little playsand mixed in - but just a little.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Basically, it was a type of book shelf. I got it on CL. I think it was a hunter douglas blinds display originally...

Status
Not open for further replies.