Bored Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thetis

5 Year Member
*My Sulcata is in a 30 gallon glass enclosure with coconut coil/topsoil substrate. he has some basking rocks, a log, a water bowl and food bowl. I know a lot of people dislike the glass enclosures but I am only going to have it for a year and I have 3 thermometers in there so I can regulate the temperature.

My sulcata is very active and walks around his enclosure a lot but he really enjoys trying to get at the backdrop I put up. The backdrop shows some gray rocks. Do you think I should just take it down and cover the glass with solid construction paper, or can I put some rocks in? I have read that sulcata's can flip over very easily so I was worried about putting them in but I think he would really enjoy having something to climb on because he never really uses his log.

In this video of him eating you can see the backdrop a little bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKZO1El4D6Y

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Welcome to the group! Are the thermometers at the substrate level? What type? If they are those 70 80 90 100 type stick on gauge ones, you need to throw that out. You really should spend $25+ on a temp gun. Be careful with rocks as in captivity with a hot light over it, your tort can burn their tummy on them (some torts won't move off of it). I wouldn't use then. I like a slate tile for food not a bowl as the tort doesn't have a lip to climb, it gives the tort space to push around the food, and it wears down the beak and nails. Make sure the water bowl is large enough for the tort to get in to soak, and is safe for the tort to easily get in and out of. I couldn't watch the video as I get motion sick lol.

Yes, just use plain paper. The backdrop confuses them. I would not put anything but hides with vertical sides and fake plants (no half logs and stuff to climb for a hatchling--treat him like a baby and baby proof the enclosure). If you see him pacing, that is a sign the enclosure is too small or the glass or border is bothering him. Also, he may be seeing his reflection in the glass and thus is trying to attack it, thinking it is another tortoise! You need at least a hide by the basking spot, one in a medium temperature, and one in the coldest part of the enclosure. Test out what types of hides he likes, and focus of stuff with vertical sides that can't be climbed, a pile of timothy hay (my tort loves this, just replace it often if you have moist substrate so it doesn't mold), and fake plants that can't be climbed. If the hide isn't used, either he doesn't like the type (might be too big so he doesn't feel safe, or some torts like mine only like hay piles and plants instead of boxes and half logs), it is in the wrong temperature zone (the most important thing about hides in my opinion), or in the wrong place in the enclosure in relation to everything else. Tort enclosures take a lot of trial and error. Mine after 1.5 years is still a huge work in process, as are most people's. Make small changes over time and see what makes him happiest. Have fun and good luck!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Hi and welcome to the forum. I had my sulcata in a glass tank for a few months when I first got him. I had to put solid paper half way up all the sides, taped on the outside. It does not look as pretty for us but whatever is best for them. If you decide to put rocks in then he may get flipped. I had to take everything out for that reason. Does he get to go outside? He looks little how old is he? If you click on enclosures you can get great ideas for the future. When he gets bigger than it is so much fun putting new things in for them to explore.

Thetis

5 Year Member
thanks for the welcomes and the replies :D
@ tortoise nerd:
Thanks for the help, I'll have to get a temp gun instead of those stick thermometers. His water/food situation is good I think they are his favorite parts of the enclosure to be honest because he is always in one of them lol
Yeah I have had to move things around because parts of the tank he seems to dislike, he never goes in the front right for some reason. I wonder why he doesn't like it.
I tried putting some orchard grass in there for some hide spots because I bought originally as food but he wont eat it. Since putting it in he hasn't burrowed in it but he seems to enjoy walking all over it. Should I try using the sphagnum moss for his cool spot?

@Missy: Yeah I will change the paper, I think its just attracting his attention. I actually may change the paper for my side neck too because now that I think about it he may be doing the same thing!
I take him outside for only about an hour because a lot of my neighbors dont put their dogs on a leash and i am worried one will be faster than me and eat him. I can't wait for him to get bigger so I can build some fun enclosures for him especially once I move next year. I don't know how old he is, I bought him last week at a reptile show and the seller wasn't sure. I'm actually really nervous about him because I've never owned a tortoise before, only turtles, and I keep reading about all these little ones dying. I'm starting to think I should have gotten a bigger one, its just the only larger tortoises at the show had really bad pyramiding :/

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If you have more moisture in some areas over others, best they be warmer not colder. If you make a moist hide, I'd have it in a moderate to warm area, such as in the 80s. Moss is kept damp so that is why I say moist. The warm moist hide with moss is good for Sulcatas as they are especially prone to pyramiding. You just don't want it dripping wet.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I have read on here that putting a sponge in the hide and misting it works good, you have to be able to attach it to the inside top somehow. The best advise I can give is daily soaks and humidity, good food, warmth,and as much outside time as you can give him. It is scary having such a little guy I have been there. I just wish I had found this forum 2 years ago and maybe Tank would have had a better start. Just keep reading and asking questions and you will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.