Boris's new larger enclosure made from Argos bookcase

lymcBoris

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Hi all. I've not posted for a while as I sometimes find the site a bit intimidating. Sorry, just a lot of people with a lot of opinions. But I was so excited that I thought I'd share photos of Boris's, my 2 year old Russian tort's new bigger enclosure. It's 6ft x3ft and I would have liked bigger but he is slowly taking over my son's bedroom! Next we'll need to swap his double bed for a single and give Boris the double. ? So far Boris is loving it. He is exploring and a lot more active with more space. It's very satisfying to see him roaming and exploring. I spend so much time just watching him.
I know he has some pyramiding, this was evident when we got him at 18months old from the breeder. I travelled 300 miles to get him from breeder in England not a pet shop. We were told to use sand and dry substrate, but thankfully I did my research and joined this forum to get the correct advice on substrate - Coco coir and orchid bark and humidity. Boris is now 28 months, 10.3cm and 237g. Does this sound ok for his age? We think he's prob a boy because he tucks his tail to the side a lot.
Any more good advice welcome please. Just hopefully not that I have everything wrong. I am trying my best to give Boris a great life in Scotland. Feeding him on local weeds and supplementing with Mizuri pellets. I just wish he could live outdoors. Roll on some sunshine....
Thanks, Lynne.

IMG_20200222_154222.jpgIMG_20200222_154142.jpgIMG_20200222_154231.jpgIMG_20200222_154218.jpgIMG_20191111_153146.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I have opinion of your enclosure, very big one too.

I think you did a great job to create this large enclosure for Boris. There is "Cold side" and "Hot Side" for him to choise and he have few place to hide or dig. And the best thing is~ He is all by himself. I think you did a wonderful job of turn the bookcase into a nice indoor enclosure. Just wonderful. Thank you for sharing it.

lymcBoris

Scotland
I have opinion of your enclosure, very big one too.

I think you did a great job to create this large enclosure for Boris. There is "Cold side" and "Hot Side" for him to choise and he have few place to hide or dig. And the best thing is~ He is all by himself. I think you did a wonderful job of turn the bookcase into a nice indoor enclosure. Just wonderful. Thank you for sharing it.
Thank you! That means a lot.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings in Scotland! New enclosure looks great - your tort looks happy. The only thing I would suggest is relocating the wire/probe so it’s not laying along the substrate where your tort can easily get caught & drag it around, or bite it, or get entangled in it. There have been some recent stories where this has happened. I think Jamie in New Hampshire had a recent scare @jsheffield

lymcBoris

Scotland
Hello, greetings to you too and thank you for advice. I was thinking that for a while. I have a infrared temp gun anyway and check temps regularly, like obsessively! I just like to see temps all the time. I'll move the wire now just to be safe. Thanks again.

Sa Ga

MN
Nice and simple
IMHO get rid of that lamp stand - it will collapse - they are made out of cheap material and there are many horror stories on here about them breaking and falling into the enclosure.
Yikes! How??? It's just sitting (or standing) there!

It just suddenly one day collapses?

Sa Ga

MN
Hi all. I've not posted for a while as I sometimes find the site a bit intimidating. Sorry, just a lot of people with a lot of opinions. But I was so excited that I thought I'd share photos of Boris's, my 2 year old Russian tort's new bigger enclosure. It's 6ft x3ft and I would have liked bigger but he is slowly taking over my son's bedroom! Next we'll need to swap his double bed for a single and give Boris the double. ? So far Boris is loving it. He is exploring and a lot more active with more space. It's very satisfying to see him roaming and exploring. I spend so much time just watching him.
I know he has some pyramiding, this was evident when we got him at 18months old from the breeder. I travelled 300 miles to get him from breeder in England not a pet shop. We were told to use sand and dry substrate, but thankfully I did my research and joined this forum to get the correct advice on substrate - Coco coir and orchid bark and humidity. Boris is now 28 months, 10.3cm and 237g. Does this sound ok for his age? We think he's prob a boy because he tucks his tail to the side a lot.
Any more good advice welcome please. Just hopefully not that I have everything wrong. I am trying my best to give Boris a great life in Scotland. Feeding him on local weeds and supplementing with Mizuri pellets. I just wish he could live outdoors. Roll on some sunshine....
Thanks, Lynne.
VERY cool! I need to do something like that for Mo!

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
Nice and simple
IMHO get rid of that lamp stand - it will collapse - they are made out of cheap material and there are many horror stories on here about them breaking and falling into the enclosure.
I have that same stand and it is very flimsy what should I use?

lymcBoris

Scotland
It's not hard to build one yourself with wood. Plus you can paint it whatever color you want and pin the cord.
Yeah, but the high price of wood here means that my bookcase was cheaper to buy and reinforce with some spare bits. His first enclosure was all homemade but was a tonne weight!

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, but the high price of wood here means that my bookcase was cheaper to buy and reinforce with some spare bits. His first enclosure was all homemade but was a tonne weight!

Hey whatever works for you
I am just saying that those lamp stands are poorly made and you don't want a hot bulb with the weight of it falling on your tort. Plus active electricity lying on somewhat flammable wood-based bedding isn't the greatest idea either.

lymcBoris

Scotland
I am just saying that those lamp stands are poorly made and you don't want a hot bulb with the weight of it falling on your tort. Plus active electricity lying on somewhat flammable wood-based bedding isn't the greatest idea either.
Can I see a pic of your enclosure please? Just to help me.

lymcBoris

Scotland
I just replied to myself! ? I found your enclosure and it's awesome. Thanks for the advice. I will take it on board.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
You did a nice job on your enclosure. You tort looks very happy. I enjoy watching my tort all the time. They are so enjoyable.

lymcBoris

Scotland
You did a nice job on your enclosure. You tort looks very happy. I enjoy watching my tort all the time. They are so enjoyable.
Thank you. I was so excited to get Boris into a bigger enclosure. I love watching him all the time too. They are so addictive. I constantly go upstairs to get something and just nip in to check Boris for a second and find that half an hour has gone by and I forgot what I was going to get. I am fascinated by him, especially when he is eating. When he takes a good smell of everything before he munches.

Stitchers

Charleston, Wv

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Thank you. I was so excited to get Boris into a bigger enclosure. I love watching him all the time too. They are so addictive. I constantly go upstairs to get something and just nip in to check Boris for a second and find that half an hour has gone by and I forgot what I was going to get. I am fascinated by him, especially when he is eating. When he takes a good smell of everything before he munches.
I, too love watching my little one eat. That little cute pink tongue is so busy when she eats. This is my enclosure. You can see I used pipe to hang lights.

Attachments

• 20200209_124247.jpg
    20200209_124247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25

lymcBoris

Scotland
I, too love watching my little one eat. That little cute pink tongue is so busy when she eats. This is my enclosure. You can see I used pipe to hang lights.
Yes, the pink tongue is so funny! Wow! Your enclosure is amazing! So bright and stylish. Thanks for sharing. I will get rid of that lamp stand and get something else asap. Thank you.