Bought a new tort and he is staying in one area

Kim&Tim

Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi!
You have a russian right? Don't give fruit to testudo's, they don't need it, it messes with their gut flora and it's not a part of their natural diet. The substrate is not good as already mentioned and it also looks empty/bare and small. How big is it and does it have a hide for the tort? It needs a hide and other items. Btw moving is stressful and very frightening for them. It could take a while for him to adjust.

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Care sheets:

Attachments

• Horsfield Care Sheet January 2014New (3).pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Colin the tortoise

England
Your substrate needs to be switched to fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir. What you have now is too dry.

What are your enclosure temps? Basking, cool side, and night? Can we see pictures of the whole thing?
That is what was recommended and warm is 35 degrees and cold is 20 degree

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27

Colin the tortoise

England
Hi!
You have a russian right? Don't give fruit to testudo's, they don't need it, it messes with their gut flora and it's not a part of their natural diet. The substrate is not good as already mentioned and it also looks empty/bare and small. How big is it and does it have a hide for the tort? It needs a hide and other items. Btw moving is stressful and very frightening for them. It could take a while for him to adjust.
Yes it is a horsfield and think you for the reply

Colin the tortoise

England
Your substrate needs to be switched to fine grade orchid bark, cypress mulch, or coconut coir. What you have now is too dry.

What are your enclosure temps? Basking, cool side, and night? Can we see pictures of the whole thing?
Have I sent you the pic bc it has disappeared

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
That is what was recommended and warm is 35 degrees and cold is 20 degree
Your cool side is a little cool. I would try bumping it up to around 23 degrees, but it’s not necessarily crucial that you do because your basking temp is good.

You are currently measuring the temps at the top of the enclosure with an inaccurate thermometer. Switch out the analog thermometer for a digital one at tortoise level. I highly recommend getting a temperature gun.

Your enclosure could use some more hides and clutter.

Colin the tortoise

England
Your cool side is a little cool. I would try bumping it up to around 23 degrees, but it’s not necessarily crucial that you do because your basking temp is good.

You are currently measuring the temps at the top of the enclosure with an inaccurate thermometer. Switch out the analog thermometer for a digital one at tortoise level. I highly recommend getting a temperature gun.

Ok thank you very much I will see what I can do

Colin the tortoise

England

How wild you shggest I warm the cold side up

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
Tbh, 20/21 celsius is a good temperature for a horsfield or any other mediterranian on the cool side. I would not get a heat emitter to bumb it up. I would get a digital thermometer with a probe or a gun, so you know the actual temperature. The ones you're using I have myself, they give a decent indication, but not reality. I use one with a probe. They are very accurate. You should measure at shell height.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Tbh, 20/21 celsius is a good temperature for a horsfield or any other mediterranian on the cool side. I would not get a heat emitter to bumb it up. I would get a digital thermometer with a probe or a gun, so you know the actual temperature. The ones you're using I have myself, they give a decent indication, but not reality. I use one with a probe. They are very accurate. You should measure at shell height.
I also agree that it’s not completely necessary. Just might be a good idea since this one is quite young :)

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
United Kingdom
That is it mate light has just gone off
I can’t see any hides maybe it’s too hot under the heat lamp for him so he goes into the cold area, try get a hide or two like a branch or a bendy bridge! Also you could try new substrate like cypress mulch, coconut fibre and lots of other stuff depending on your tort. And try make the bedding thicker so he can bury himself! That’s all I can think of but maybe try it out :) it could take you a while to find the perfect substrate for him but I tend to use a mixture of different beddings

Kim&Tim

The Netherlands
I also agree that it’s not completely necessary. Just might be a good idea since this one is quite young :)

The reason why I say invest in a
digital thermometer is because it makes a huge difference. For instance my analog near the basking spot says 24c, only a few inches away under the basking spot at shell height my digital with probe says 33c. My analog in the cool area says 19, my digital says 21, in the middle of my enclosure the analog says 21, it's actually 26.

It makes a huge difference. It also depends if you measure when the lights just went on or if they've been on for hours. Lamps get hotter, so temps rise.

If i would use my analog for measuring the basking spot, I would burn my tortoise alive, analog says 32c, digital 48c!

So it's incredibly useful. To hot can make a tort lethargic, to cold the same.

TiddlesTheTortoise2

Today is my birthday!
United Kingdom
The reason why I say invest in a
digital thermometer is because it makes a huge difference. For instance my analog near the basking spot says 24c, only a few inches away under the basking spot at shell height my digital with probe says 33c. My analog in the cool area says 19, my digital says 21, in the middle of my enclosure the analog says 21, it's actually 26.

It makes a huge difference. It also depends if you measure when the lights just went on or if they've been on for hours. Lamps get hotter, so temps rise.

If i would use my analog for measuring the basking spot, I would burn my tortoise alive, analog says 32c, digital 48c!

So it's incredibly useful.
Wait so I’m dumb... is this a digital thermometer ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9