Bowel prolapse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline Banks

5 Year Member
I have 5 year old Horsefield Tortoise called Molly who as now had 3 bowel prolapses the first one was a year ago and she had surgery then a few weeks later it happened again and she had more surgery that time they put in a nylon stich which seem to work. She as now just had another one and is at the vets having more surgery. I do not know what is causing them and I am really worried about her future as i don't want her to go on like this. The vet can not give me a reason why this keeps happening.

She is very active eats well and as daily baths and otherwise seems heathy

If anyone can advise me i would be grateful

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Wow, poor Molly and you too. :( You said a good diet, but like what do you actually feed her? Are her stools really hard and firm?

Caroline Banks

5 Year Member
Hi
Thanks for replying i feed her on peas, brockley, califlower, cucumber, dandilions leaves, carrotts, cabbage all organic, which she seems to enjoys. She as normal stools and seems to go most days. she is very active.

Thanks Caroline

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Has she been treated for parasites, or checked for them? often high parasite loads can lead to intestinal prolapses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Caroline:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we ask where you are?

Prolapse usually occurs when a tortoise is straining to get something out. That "something" might be an egg that is too large, a stone (either from the garden or from hardened urates), a parasite infestation, etc.

Your tortoise's diet can stand to be improved. Agrionemys horsfieldii (Russian) tortoises eat broad-leaf weeds and plants. When not outside foraging on their own, you can feed them dark, leafy greens like turnip greens, mustard greens, endive, escarole, packaged lettuces like Spring Mix, rocket salad, etc. And always provide plenty of water either by soaking the tortoise or in a dish in the habitat.

Caroline Banks

5 Year Member
dmmj said:
Has she been treated for parasites, or checked for them? often high parasite loads can lead to intestinal prolapses.

Thankyou
No the vet as not mentioned that. How do they get parasites in their system and how do i treat them.

Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Emys, you need to change her diet. Her system was not made to live on veggies like that. Cabbage broccoli cauliflower and peas are especially not good for tortoises. So while Emys was very nice in what she said, I will tell you that you are feeding her a very bad diet that most likely is what's causing the prolaspe...Emys has given you an idea of what a good diet for an inside tortoise would be...

Caroline Banks

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
I agree with Emys, you need to change her diet. Her system was not made to live on veggies like that. Cabbage broccoli cauliflower and peas are especially not good for tortoises. So while Emys was very nice in what she said, I will tell you that you are feeding her a very bad diet that most likely is what's causing the prolaspe...Emys has given you an idea of what a good diet for an inside tortoise would be...

When she first had her first prolapse the vet gave me a diet sheet that had the veggies I have been feeding her on that as said not to give her lettuce as it had no nutrients i will try her on some of the other ones Emy as listed I will speak with the vet again tomorrow when i pick her up thanks for the advice
Caroline

Caroline Banks

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Caroline:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we ask where you are?

Prolapse usually occurs when a tortoise is straining to get something out. That "something" might be an egg that is too large, a stone (either from the garden or from hardened urates), a parasite infestation, etc.

Your tortoise's diet can stand to be improved. Agrionemys horsfieldii (Russian) tortoises eat broad-leaf weeds and plants. When not outside foraging on their own, you can feed them dark, leafy greens like turnip greens, mustard greens, endive, escarole, packaged lettuces like Spring Mix, rocket salad, etc. And always provide plenty of water either by soaking the tortoise or in a dish in the habitat.

I am from Lancashire in England. thanks for the advice i will try her on them what plants can she eat. I always place her in a pool of water daily which she enjoys

Caroline Banks

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:

Thanks for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.