bowser the desert tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

high_d_bear

5 Year Member
Hi my name is Heidi and about 3 months ago a neighbor knocked on our door and told my boyfriend and i to come check out what she found on her lawn. The turtle was just eating the grass her lawn and thats how we acquired our tortoise. We also have 1 cat and a dog the both get alog well with Bowser. i hope to learn more about him through this site and its members.

bowser eating some grub

Attachments

• 2010 junejuly 087small.JPG
    2010 junejuly 087small.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 76

fgately

5 Year Member
Happy tort! Try to aim for the leafy greens and weedy type foods for your buddy. There are some fantastic older discussion threads here on TFO about this subject. It has helped me so much. What type of tort is this?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This is probably a gopher tortoise (Gopherus polyphemus). And I'm thinkin' "female," however would really need to see the bottom of the tortoise to be sure.

Here's what the World Chelonian Trust has to say on their diet:

"The gopher tortoise is one of the most widely studied tortoises in the world. As such its dietary preferences are well known. Conat6 reports that gopher tortoises eat a mixed diet of grasses, leaves, and wild fruits. Landers et al.7 conducted a food habit study of gopher tortoises in the longleaf-scrub oak association of South Georgia and concluded that grasses and grass-like plants were the principle foods of adults. Broad-leaved weeds are preferred by juvenile tortoises, with dependence upon them increasing as the growing season progresses and grass becomes dryer and less nutritious. Morning glory and bindweed leaves are also commonly eaten. Seasonally available fruits are also taken"

And most important of all...I forgot to say:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Where do you live?
Escaped 'pet' or wild tort in the neighborhood?
Very cool looking.. start reading and educationg yourselves on care and feeding.. WELCOME to the Tort family!

oh, and dogs.. they dont mix well with torts.. so be very careful.. and/or keep them seperate..

dolfanjack

5 Year Member
Dallas Oregon
I would of said escaped russian tortiose,but I.D.ing isn't my specialty. good luck on your new pet. Jack

high_d_bear

5 Year Member
i thought she was a desert tortoise but really i have no idea i will have to look more into the gopher tortoise. i will take a picture of the bottom of her shell so it would be easier for you to identify the sex. thanx everyone for your comments.

Laura said:
Where do you live?
Escaped 'pet' or wild tort in the neighborhood?
Very cool looking.. start reading and educationg yourselves on care and feeding.. WELCOME to the Tort family!

oh, and dogs.. they dont mix well with torts.. so be very careful.. and/or keep them seperate..

i live in the central valley close to fresno and i didnt think it was wild because of how friendly it was to me when we first approached it. i did go to some of our nieghbors house and asked around but no one claimed to have a tortoise and there were no ads in the paper or craigslist. that was close to 3 months ago now and i'm pretty attached to her. i also have read not to leave dogs with torts because they like to chew on things. weve never had that problem with rocker chewing on the house/furnature some how we got lucky on that and he's never mauled a animal either. when i watch him with the tort he basically sniff or licks the tort and leaves but i make sure rocker doesnt scare bowser (ive heard if they get scared too quickly they can die?)

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
What am I missing? I thought Gophers were highly protected, no matter where you're from? She is beautiful!

high_d_bear

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Nice to get to meet you Heidi!

thank you.

harris said:
What am I missing? I thought Gophers were highly protected, no matter where you're from? She is beautiful!

she's a desert tortoise but i think ive heard i still need to get a permit from fish and game to have her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry about the confusion. I thought you were in Louisiana, that's why I suggested it was a gopher tortoise.

Just scratch that post. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.