Box turtle care help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
It looks as though my rescue eastern box turtles might be coming this weekend. I know that they like moisture. And I have read some care sheets with confilicting info on diet. Can someone give me some input on what would be a stable diet for these two. I have started a compost pile to gather worms. That won't be a problem. I will have a sub-adult male and an adult female. As far as substrate goes, I have stocked up on bed a beast. Should I mix it with something or use it plain? What temp should a basking light be? I will use leaf litter and dark hides and a soaking dish. Anything else I need? I will be putting them in large rubbermaid containers until it warms up a bit. Thanks!!!

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Hi Dee, I emailed you back. I use organic mulch(thats all I can find here w/ nothing added) and play sand mixed. Mine is set at 70/30. I also have moss in there and when they are inside I keep a towel over half of there tubs to keep the humidity up (its dry here). Also make sure you have larger water dish, outside I use a small pond w/ rocks, inside I use paint pans or really large saucers, and plan on it getting dirty. Mine love to soak and they love to drag everything into the water as well. Basking I have mine at 90-95. I mist and stir the dirt daily to keep it moist. As for diet, I start with the same greens I am feeding everyone else with, then add squash, pumpkin, sweet potatos, carrots, red or orange bell peppers, optunia, clover, apples, strawberries, the list is long on what they eat. I will see if I can cut and paste food lists for you. they also eat crickets, red wigglers, night crawlers, snails, I will work on getting you a list and I have a really cool diet for box turtles that I try and go by for the amounts that my vet gave me a while back and it has worked so far. When mine are outside they have tons of stuff growing and so I supplement at that point because they chow on the food.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks Jen. I went to the site you emailed me. It had a lot of really great info. Can you tell me approx. how much each turtle eats? 1/2c, 1/4 c? I guess I will just figure that out as I go along. I figured I would buy some organically grown veggie plants for in their enclosure and I also have a ton of hostas that will do great in there. Can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.