Box turtle egg has dent on side, close to hatch date

shallynblair

Location (City and/or State)
Grass Valley CA,
So… im still waiting for the other 3 eggs to hatch. How many days apart is normal for hatchlings to hatch from each other? The first one hatched 3 days ago.

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
Talent will chime in, we're all also waiting....then it dawned on me, these turtles are from California, they are "Hollywood turtles"....no wonder they put so much suspense in their entrances....!!
Jeff- Hollywood turtles ?? indeed they are good at suspense! A second turtle made its appearance during the night, it had burst its eggshell nearly in half! I tore off the piece of shell that was hanging on. So happy two have made it so far!! Now for the other two…. One of the two eggs left started growing mold on it. It also has some ugly dents. I applied some foot powder to the egg to kill the mold (something I read online that works well). I candled the egg yesterday and can see the baby inside, but I’m not sure if it’s still alive or not. Today is day 58, so I will give it more time. If anyone has advise on the ugly egg I’m all ears ?

Attachments

• DBD26AA9-C2D6-48EC-BB8C-ABDFE025EA25.jpeg
    DBD26AA9-C2D6-48EC-BB8C-ABDFE025EA25.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 066CDAFB-0384-4AA5-9C3B-534F851A2728.jpeg
    066CDAFB-0384-4AA5-9C3B-534F851A2728.jpeg
    578.4 KB · Views: 20

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
Alrighty, the third baby has hatched! At 58 days! I’m not feeling confident at all about number 4…that one has lots of dents, and has the mold I’m trying to get under control. How will this Hollywood movie end?
These two that recently hatched have yolk sacks to soak up. The first one’s sack was nearly completely absorbed already. Crazy how different they all are!

Attachments

• 68A30CC8-4FB4-4ACC-8A7F-AAD950842AAC.jpeg
    68A30CC8-4FB4-4ACC-8A7F-AAD950842AAC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Jeff- Hollywood turtles ?? indeed they are good at suspense! A second turtle made its appearance during the night, it had burst its eggshell nearly in half! I tore off the piece of shell that was hanging on. So happy two have made it so far!! Now for the other two…. One of the two eggs left started growing mold on it. It also has some ugly dents. I applied some foot powder to the egg to kill the mold (something I read online that works well). I candled the egg yesterday and can see the baby inside, but I’m not sure if it’s still alive or not. Today is day 58, so I will give it more time. If anyone has advise on the ugly egg I’m all ears ?
I think that last egg failed unfortunately. I would leave it for another week but I doubt it's good anymore.

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
I think that last egg failed unfortunately. I would leave it for another week but I doubt it's good anymore.
I think you’re correct. I’m very happy with the 3 that made it!! I will post a picture of them all together when they are ready.
I have heard some peoples stories of very ugly eggs hatching that were thought to be no-good… so I’ll give it a try!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think you’re correct. I’m very happy with the 3 that made it!! I will post a picture of them all together when they are ready.
I have heard some peoples stories of very ugly eggs hatching that were thought to be no-good… so I’ll give it a try!
I had the same thing happen not long ago. Egg developed and baby looked good till about time to hatch then egg dented and started molding. Others hatched fine. Just like yours. Bummer, but don't throw it out yet. IMG_20200829_131519930.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I had the same thing happen not long ago. Egg developed and baby looked good till about time to hatch then egg dented and started molding. Others hatched fine. Just like yours. Bummer, but don't throw it out yet. View attachment 334238
Knowing the egg is getting bad and molding, wouldn't it be best to just open it seeing its hatching time of the others and hopefully save the baby?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Knowing the egg is getting bad and molding, wouldn't it be best to just open it seeing its hatching time of the others and hopefully save the baby?
Might be a good option at this point. I never tried because I kind of have a weak stomach lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Might be a good option at this point. I never tried because I kind of have a weak stomach lol.
I did it with a leopard egg. It didn't look too bad and I could tell there was a baby in it but no movement. I just wish I would have done it sooner. I may have saved it.
If I had the chance again, I wouldn't have waited. It's likely not to survive anyway so why not try.
The only hard part for me was seeing a fully developed leopard baby that didn't make it. That's sad.

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
I had the same thing happen not long ago. Egg developed and baby looked good till about time to hatch then egg dented and started molding. Others hatched fine. Just like yours. Bummer, but don't throw it out yet. View attachment 334238
I did it with a leopard egg. It didn't look too bad and I could tell there was a baby in it but no movement. I just wish I would have done it sooner. I may have saved it.
If I had the chance again, I wouldn't have waited. It's likely not to survive anyway so why not try.
The only hard part for me was seeing a fully developed leopard baby that didn't make it. That's sad.
Ok.. I did it, because I knew in my heart it wasn’t alive. I opened the bad egg. Sure enough, it looks like it stopped developing just a few weeks ago. Not sure what could have happened. At least I know now, I can stop worrying about it and care for these 3 beautiful babies! I can’t wait to see more of the two that are still in their eggshells.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok.. I did it, because I knew in my heart it wasn’t alive. I opened the bad egg. Sure enough, it looks like it stopped developing just a few weeks ago. Not sure what could have happened. At least I know now, I can stop worrying about it and care for these 3 beautiful babies! I can’t wait to see more of the two that are still in their eggshells.
Sad, but at least you've got the others. Post pictures when they're all out!

shallynblair

Grass Valley CA,
Ok here they are! 3 baby turtles out of 4! One seems smaller than the other two, but they’re all perfect otherwise! Their shells look good, no unusual scutes, just tiny little miracles! As of today they’ve been moved into their new enclosure. Thank you all for this of you that shared your experiences with me and your knowledge! I hope this thread helps anyone else in the future!

Attachments

• B865E61B-FAE5-4277-8346-6DBCFAC22B85.jpeg
    B865E61B-FAE5-4277-8346-6DBCFAC22B85.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • AC5D33D7-BD2E-4473-8ACB-6E5F1B09B83D.jpeg
    AC5D33D7-BD2E-4473-8ACB-6E5F1B09B83D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Just like I have never chosen to be a mother in real life, I have known that turtle/tortoise birth is not my gig. However, I LOVE following others‘ stories. Well done!!!