box turtle escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

argus333

5 Year Member
my eastern box escaped out of his pen back in oct. my yard is fenced with buried edges so i do not think he left the yard. u think he hibernated and will come out in spring? i looked everywhere he must be buried...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
What have been the temps by you? If temps are below 50 degrees, it will go into hibernation mode. If it burrowed, he'll come out when temps.get warmer. Leave a flat bowl of water for him just in case. The weather is kind of crazy this time of year. But, in the early morning hours, when the sun comes out, look for him to show up. He'll eventually come out so you can feed him:-D

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
I hope so. I had 2 three toed box turtles escape in August. I tore the yard appart and one crawled up behind me and waited while I was on my hands and knees pulling up the weeds. I have had her since 1989 and taught he to come when called for insects. Lucky me.
The other one is pretty shy but friendly but I never found her. I was told they hide very well and to look for her next spring. Put out several shallow bowls of water and look for them at dawn.

Good luck.

I hope so. I had 2 three toed box turtles escape in August. I tore the yard appart and one crawled up behind me and waited while I was on my hands and knees pulling up the weeds. I have had her since 1989 and taught he to come when called for insects. Lucky me.
The other one is pretty shy but friendly but I never found her. I was told they hide very well and to look for her next spring. Put out several shallow bowls of water and look for them at dawn.

Good luck.o

argus333

5 Year Member
ya its below 50 i have 3 water bowls out, he hibernated last yr in his pen. didnt come out till end of march. so ill start looking more an more as it gets closer to spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.