box turtle habitat and questions

DayDreamer

Location (City and/or State)
San Juan PR
lynnedit said:
I have tried a couple of small filters for my box turtle. Currently I have one that seems to be working, but I am still working out the kinks.
I have quickly learned that BT's like to p**p in their water, and drag in leaves, etc.
So you need a pretty hearty filter, or the intake can clog.

I have seen the Whisper upright filters set in a pyrex baking dish with rocks on the bottom. The rocks also do some filtration over time, and protect the intake of the filter. This will work to keep the water clear for 2-3 days, but you will still want to clean it out that often to avoid build up.
Otherwise you are cleaning their water every day!

This is a great thread and I love learning about worm farming!

I plan on one of those baking dishes with rocks on the bottom and slate on top of that (atleast until s/he is bigger)then hopefully none to very little will be able to clog the filter) however this is all more for looks i will still be replacing the water daily i figure the movement of the water will also help it feel a bit more natural for the little guy

1st day on this forum and ive learnt more from you all then weeks of reading ^.^

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Have you thought about an outside enclosure with a lid (to protect from the cats)? Even if you bring your BT in at night, the sun is so good for them, along with foraging outside for bugs, etc.

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
oh of course, we plan on eventually building something like the caged area in this picture.
a953271e-a6fb-4422-8f1f-929daaaeff22_1000.jpg

we have a really nice sunny deck it would work perfectly on. until then i will just get a storage bin and fix it up with a mesh lid. outside will be a almost daily thing. our only issue is a lack of back yard so there wont be any bugs to much on which is why his indoor habitat will be as close as i can get to making it the outdoors (bugs worms plants and all)
any permanent outdoor space for the little guy would be out of the question though... it will have to be able to be moved easily indoors because i worry about the cats peeing on it like they do with most everything else... (even my kids bike... yuck!!)

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
what size do you all think would be considered good for a indoor enclosure (once we move and have a back yard we will build a huge one outdoors) and what height? I am thinking about making little hills (not big ones but to that its not all just flat and the little guy has some places to climb) we will have a bunch of different plants (in different shapes sizes and even ground plants like clover) leafs to hide in and a bunch of other hide areas, and of course our little soaking/drinking spot with a waterfall and filtration. we will be growing some leafy greens in there for it aswell and well im not the worlds most pro gardener im not sure how high i would need to build this enclosure for the plants.

what type of greens do your boxies like the best? (so i have a idea of what would be better to grow in there)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. What a great source of info from boxie keepers! You don't find much reliable info on boxies out there, especially on hatchlings. I'd really like to see if any other boxie experts have anything to add or maybe someone feels like writing a hatchling care sheet?

DayDreamer

San Juan PR
wow forgot about this glad its back to life a bit, we actually ended up getting a russian tortoise! hubby was a bit put off on the bug deal lol figured it would be easier in our situation to go with RT due to the fact they only eat greens and that would be soo much easier.

as far as all the info collected in my mind about boxies best bet you be to create a nice colony of rolly pollies and earth worms inside your enclosure and some edible greens growing naturally inside aswell and just keep that up as it would be a more ideal and natural environment for the box turtle. thats kinda what i have going on for my RT minus the bugs he get fed a small amount every day or so and just munches on his enclosure (7 x 4) full of different tort safe weeds. (transplant when needed)

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
Yeah, I have a Hermanns...but I've really been wanting boxies for the last year or so...almost got my fiance to say yes, so now it's time for researching/obsessive mode, lol! I'm really looking toward to feeding it and swimming. :)

Clumsy1973

Richwood/ Texas
Hello, I am a new time box turtle owner and I am so glad I found this page. I just got Frankie some red Wiggler's and he loves them. Frankie is pretty small but the wigglers have just the right size. Frankie hunts them which provides exercise and they also provide a challenge due to putting up a little fight. I used to drop them in a low dish but Frankie draggs them all over the place so now they officially live in the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20181009_183204.jpg
    IMG_20181009_183204.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 18