Box Turtle lost her lower beak

caligull

5 Year Member
One of my box turtles lost her lower beak last summer. The beak got a crack in it and a few days later fell off completely. I was hoping that it would grow back. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? What causes this?

guille24

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
wisconsin
Do you have a y pics of how the turtle looks right now ? that might help the experts .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sometimes the beak could be to long, or it can just crack sometimes like a tooth does. A little unusual for the lower beak, but should grow back with no problems.

caligull

5 Year Member
Sometimes the beak could be to long, or it can just crack sometimes like a tooth does. A little unusual for the lower beak, but should grow back with no problems.

When she first lost her beak, I Googled it and I read that she should grow another one; I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this. Thanks for the reassurance that it will grow back. (I just wish it would grow quicker than it is) :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have never personally had one with a broken beak , but I have seen a lot through the turtle club, It will take time, but it will eventually grow back , like a finger nail.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It might mean that the turtle is calcium deficient, thus has weak bones, shell, beak and nails.

I have a large tortoise who has a split in the middle of his upper beak. If I allow the edges to grow long, the split goes deeper each time he bites his food, so I have to keep the sides trimmed or ground down.

So, make sure your turtle has a calcium-rich diet, and keep the beak trimmed to a normal growth and not allowed to get long.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

caligull

5 Year Member
It might mean that the turtle is calcium deficient, thus has weak bones, shell, beak and nails.

I have a large tortoise who has a split in the middle of his upper beak. If I allow the edges to grow long, the split goes deeper each time he bites his food, so I have to keep the sides trimmed or ground down.

So, make sure your turtle has a calcium-rich diet, and keep the beak trimmed to a normal growth and not allowed to get long.

1028762jld543t69m.gif
Thanks Yvonne,
I will increase her calcium and check her beak.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Cuttlbones are great, because they do both. the trick is getting your tort to eat them!