Box Turtle Nest found, should I incubate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
A co-worker informed me that her son discovered a Box Turtle laying eggs while walking their dog. I was very happy to hear this, because box turtles are very scarce in Southwest Michigan. I live on prime woodland and wetland areas, and have never seen one in the wild.

The turtle was found on school property, and adjacent to a hill by the baseball field where spectators usually sit. My biggest concern is that the area's grass is mowed frequently, and it would break my heart to never know if these eggs make it, especially since Box turtles are quickly disappearing from the area.

I am willing (and excited/thrilled/optimistic) to take it upon myself to incubate the eggs. It would be my first time for incubating, but I am very careful and confident that I would be able to. Does anyone object, or have any helpful tips?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would check the laws in Michigan regarding removing the eggs. Or contact your Fish and Game department regarding it. We wouldn't want you sitting in Jail. I don't think they have internet access :p

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Has it been over 24 hours since the child saw the turtle laying the eggs? I was told its very VERY tricky to remove the eggs after that first 24 hours. The blood vessels adhere to the inside of the egg and if its turned just a bit, it could kill the developing turtle inside the egg.. I understand where you are coming from.. I too just a week or so ago had this same problem.. I was so worried about the mowers, coons and people walking across the nest.. :(

Good luck and yea like Robyn said check the laws..

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would check local laws before doing anything, and then go from there, I would also be exicted about it, but I did not know about the 24 hour rule, and I myself would not want to be responsible for accidentally killing a bunch of babies.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Yes Yes check for laws.. The turtle we saw laying eggs that I was so worried about.. Dan ID them as Alabama Red Bellied Cooters and they are on the Endangered Species list.. I was able to get help and the nest have been marked.. Along with a sign that reads $10,000 fine for tampering with this nest.. I think he said it carries a one year jail time.. SHOCK!!!! lol.. He covered the nest and will be back to check on them daily on their hatch dates.. So yes most definitely check laws and you might even be able to find someone to help, remove or cover the nest..

Tonka-Tamer

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
^I may do that instead^

I would prefer the eggs hatching and remain within the area. I have read the lays, and discovered that boxies are a special concern species. Not threatened or endangered, but still protected. I will alert the propers and see if I can get some help with protecting the nest :)

Status
Not open for further replies.