Box Turtle Raising and Lowering It’s Butt

Dunskis13

I have a box turtle and recently I’ve noticed that sometimes when she’s just sitting in her table she will raise and lower the back of her shell (by her butt) as if she was trying to potty but nothing happens. Is she just a heavy breather or what’s going on with her?

additionally, I noticed she has been less interested in eating, (2 yr old box) but I’m attributing that to her being moved into her tortoise table just a few days ago

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I have a box turtle and recently I’ve noticed that sometimes when she’s just sitting in her table she will raise and lower the back of her shell (by her butt) as if she was trying to potty but nothing happens. Is she just a heavy breather or what’s going on with her?

additionally, I noticed she has been less interested in eating, (2 yr old box) but I’m attributing that to her being moved into her tortoise table just a few days ago
She might be a He, who's just discovering himself.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Might also be normal “thermoregulation” . Is your turtle outside or inside? Any changes to temps or lighting? Where are you (and your turtle) located? Many parts of the UK & US are going through a heat wave. So, check your temps too.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is he... humping the dirt?
Males will hump everything and anything when they first discover the pleasure. They grow out of it eventually in theory: although my male Greek never did

I have seen them doing this in response to being rubbed on the shell by a brush or bush. It may not be a young male. If your tort does turn out to be male you will see the all too obvious evidence sooner or later. It’s a once seen never forgotten experience :D

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Males will hump everything and anything when they first discover the pleasure. They grow out of it eventually in theory: although my male Greek never did

I have seen them doing this in response to being rubbed on the shell by a brush or bush. It may not be a young male. If your tort does turn out to be male you will see the all too obvious evidence sooner or later. It’s a once seen never forgotten experience :D
And hard to describe!

Dunskis13

Might also be normal “thermoregulation” . Is your turtle outside or inside? Any changes to temps or lighting? Where are you (and your turtle) located? Many parts of the UK & US are going through a heat wave. So, check your temps too.

S/he is inside. I have an outdoor enclosure but it’s under shade and has water and everything. Additionally I normally see them do it inside sometimes under their heat lamp but sometimes not

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Is this Tortoise housed with another tortoise? If so this may be a dominant gesture to the other tortoise.