Box turtle rescue

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando, FL.
Hey everyone!

I just came into possession of a box turtle today. I got her from a family that could no longer care for her. I was hoping someone could tell me how she looks, or if you see any major problems with her.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394218760.132826.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394218769.965710.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394218780.181612.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394218789.731658.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394218799.514966.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It appears to be a captive raised female. For the most part she looks good. Her head is a little big compared to her body but thats probably from some dietary issues with her previous owner. I think she looks good enough to adapt well so I wish you luck.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Thank you! That's what I was hoping to hear! Which type of box turtle is she? I was thinking an Ornate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She's an eastern, and she's suffering a bit from poor care (previously), which is showing up as old MBD and shell issues. She'll be fine once you give her the correct care and diet.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
Is there anything I should do to "jumpstart" getting her in the right direction? Or is it okay to just let it take its time getting better?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
HerpMS said:
Is there anything I should do to "jumpstart" getting her in the right direction? Or is it okay to just let it take its time getting better?

No, in fact I'm not a big fan of making drastic changes when a turtle or tortoise has been receiving poor care. I think changes should be made gradually to allow the turtle's system to gradually acclimate to better care.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I just didn't know if extra soakings, or extra vitamins for a bit would be a good idea. I'll get her all set up and let time and good care do its work!

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
I haven't named her yet! I can't come up with something that fits right. Any suggestions? :)

MrsBruce

I'm not very good with naming lol but Darcy comes to mind when I look at the pictures

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
She is an Eastern. Water is good. You should provide a place for her to have a swim when ever she wants it and soaks even if she does not.

HerpMS

5 Year Member
Orlando, FL.
I have her set up with a large enough container to soak herself any time. Should I heat the water in it? I'm afraid she'll get too cold if the water is allowed to sit inheated. :(

Her enclosure is looking better, but I still feel like it's pretty bare, picturing the woods and outdoor areas she would naturally be in. Any suggestions of specific plants or items to include in her enclosure (other than her hide) would be greatly appreciated!!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
How is she doing? Any type of vine or bushy house plant (non-toxic ones of course) that they can hide in will be good for her by the way. Monkey grass, purple grass etc.., I use the dollar house plants I find at Home Depot. They like to bury under them and hide behind them so plant away from the walls a bit and let the plants grow out. The turtle will mess with it quite a bit and encourage it's growth somewhat. You may have to move some plants if she digs them up.