Box Turtle shell and Vit E oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Im having an argument on another board in regards to a small Three Toed Boxie a friend took in recently off of Freecycle. This poor fella has major MBD, is mis-shaped cant close his shell, carapace curls up on the ends, etc etc. He also has some shell rot going on and one girl recommended my friend get some Vit E oil and rub it on the shell. I advised against that and had already recommended triple antibiotic ointment, betadine and chlorhexadine to my friend for the issue. Well of course the girl comes back and wants to tell me there are plenty of sources online that do recommend Vit E oil to retain glossiness and help with peeling. You know everything online must be correct right?

I'm sorry Anja, I don't mean to argue - but I've had several resources that have advised using Vitamin E oil on shells to help regain its glossiness or to help with flaking. Just to check myself I looked up some websites that also recommend it. Vitamin E is natural - I don't understand how it wouldnt be good for them. Obviously if there was an injury or bacterial infection, such an oil would only cover the problem and not treat it but for just an additive measure to eventually repairing damage - I dont see the problem and apparently neither do many other resources found across the internet. Maybe theres a specific issue with it that I didnt see?

My reply
If he indeed has shell rot or some sort of bacterial infection putting any type of oil on top of it is not recommended. Their shells arent waxed and buffed (glossed) in the wild so why would you want to do so? Sorry just my thoughts and the thoughts of lots of other keepers. Just because its found on the internet doesnt necessarily make it correct. Flaking in Box Turtles can be a sign of shell rot. Again why cover it up with oil? :)

Anyone else have anything I should add to this? She also recommended feeding the young Boxie some cat food cuz hers love it. ;) Yes I know there are several sites that do include it in their list of foods but I will not give it to mine. ;D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Mine love catfood too but it is an occasional treat (very). Growing up in the middle of box turtle country, I don't recall any catfood bushes but plenty of strawberries and raspberries. Also recall scrapes for worms and bugs. Forest pools full of rainwater but no Vitamin E spas. The carapaces were usually muddy dirty and dull. I never saw any with shiney clean shells but that could be because the coons and skunks saw them first.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yeah Anja.. tell her to get her ego and emotions out of the way and think about what's best for the turtle. OIL "SMOOTHERS" THE CARAPACE.. IT CAN'T BREATHE!!!

Of course y'all know how I deal with stupid...

nerd

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Anja I get the feeling no matter what you tell her, she is just not going to listen. Can think of a few poisons that are natural too. Doesn't mean I should feed them to my kids or tortoises. :rolleyes:

I myself agree with you. I would be treating the rot. Improving the diet (for me that would mean no cat food either) and it's environment.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Well after talking to my friend, she cleaned him up really good with a toothbrush and water and what had looked like shell rot in a pic came off and he has decent looking shell underneath. He had been kept as an aquatic turtle by the previous owner!!! so Im now thinking it might have been hard water stains on his shell. Like what you see when your fish tank dries out and the white film is on the glass. She is feeding him an appropriate diet and has him setup the right way now.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Great !!! Now she has a long time friend.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Ill be posting the pics of the little fella later this evening and she is supposed to take some fresh ones of him for me as well. She will probably be joining our forum here. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I agree with the no oil :D especially if there was any shell rot.
I will though have to disagree to a certain extant with catfood, wet that is. I have been giving it to my adults as a main part of their diet for over 20 years. Never had any problems and they lay more eggs than I know what to do with (anyone need a box turtle :p)
I did though try it with hatchlings way back when. That I will never do again as it did not grow them well at all. Learned my lesson there. ;)
I now feed my hatchlings and subadults a low fat pondfish pellet as their main diet supplemented with lots of bugs, worms and snails once they are eating the pellets well.

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Hey, you are the the man Dan. ;) Ive learned I will pretty much agree with anything you say. lol He is a young turtle, maybe 2-4 years. Im just not a big fan of cat food. :p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No problem Anja :D Just wanted to say it's not bad for all box turtles. :p
With this little guy having MBD and being that young I would never think of giving him catfood. :D

Danny

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It's all in the original post by Anja, Terry :D

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing that I don't see being addressed is the fact that when you apply something to the shell of a turtle, it causes dirt and dust to cling to the shell, which might lead to overheating.

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
One thing that I don't see being addressed is the fact that when you apply something to the shell of a turtle, it causes dirt and dust to cling to the shell, which might lead to overheating.

Yvonne

They wont listen to me....so Im not going to bother relaying anymore info to them. ;) Thanks though Yvonne because that is definitely a good point to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.