Box Turtle Shell Rot

Status
Not open for further replies.

sijerah77

5 Year Member
I found this box turtle and I want to help him, but I dont know how. What can I do for this little turtle ? What is wrong with his shell ? What should I do ? Help !

Attachments

• IMAG0090-3.jpg
    IMAG0090-3.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 103

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
OMG that is the worst case I have ever seen!..the scutes are completely gone.....i dont know if you can do anything for this poor turtle...which looks to bean ornate boxie...you might have to take it to a vet, where they can help professionally..Although be prepared that nothing might be able to get done....

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
What you are seeing is the bone, with the keratin gone. There is really nothing you can do. I would still take him to the vet just to have him checked out.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
Looks like a Florida boxie. Are you in Florida?

Her outer shell layer is made of plates called scutes. These are made of keratin, the same stuff as your fingernails and horse hooves. Most of this layer is gone, and what you see is bare bone. If she is kept healthy, she will make a new layer of keratin inside the bone, then the outer part of the bone will flake off. This usually takes years.

In the meantime, she may be loosing water faster than normal, since the protective keratin layer is gone. You'll want to keep her in a high humidity environment, but without it being too wet. If it's too wet, she might be at risk of bone rot fungi and bacteria. If it's too dry, she'll dehydrate. In the wild, she would know to move to the appropriate environments as she needs them.

I would recommend that you return her to the exact spot you found her and let her take care of herself.

Steve

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi sijerah77:

Welcome to the Forum!!

My first thought was florida box turtle too. I'm pretty sure they are protected in their home range. Your best bet would be to contact a turtle rescue in your area. They will know what to legally do for the turtle.

It most likely has gone through a fire and been burned. If it were chewed, you would see the evidence of chew marks on the lower portions of the shell.

The turtle is in no pain nor in danger of infection. What happened to remove the outer layer of shell happened quite some time ago.

What would you like us to call you, and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
If you are in the Tampa area I can point you to some great turtle vets. message me for their contact info.

Status
Not open for further replies.