Box turtles don't like greens?

Location (City and/or State)
Orange County
I've had my box turtle since Thanksgiving. So far I haven't seen him eat her greens! I've only discovered he loves worms & strawberries. I've tried carrots, broccolis, kale, lettuce, bok choy, bananas & other berries, still no. I've prob only seen him bit a lettuce once or twice, that's all!

What other recommendations are there?
Also does she not poop? or does she eat her own stool? I have not seen any since i've brought her home.. o_O
IMG_1439.jpg

Please Check out my other thread: Age & Male or Female?
https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/male-or-female-whats-my-age.171531/

Meepasaurus

North Carolina
Our little Eastern Box Turtle was a rescue. He is a hatchling, so we feed him meal worms for a protein rich diet, but we supplement with romaine or any other leafy green. He prefers the meal worms to anything else and only takes small bites from the romaine - but he's still a little guy (only about 2" shell). He did take about a week to start eating once we brought him home. He was very dehydrated and didn't poop for several days - so we gave him regular soaks in his water dish and even put a very small amount of water in the tub and let him roam - the exercise with the water helps to get things "moving". You will probably find that once your little one is well hydrated, he will have a better appetite.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
From what I understand, mealworms are not good for turtles. Maybe try red worms or earth worms.

Orange County
Our little Eastern Box Turtle was a rescue. He is a hatchling, so we feed him meal worms for a protein rich diet, but we supplement with romaine or any other leafy green. He prefers the meal worms to anything else and only takes small bites from the romaine - but he's still a little guy (only about 2" shell). He did take about a week to start eating once we brought him home. He was very dehydrated and didn't poop for several days - so we gave him regular soaks in his water dish and even put a very small amount of water in the tub and let him roam - the exercise with the water helps to get things "moving". You will probably find that once your little one is well hydrated, he will have a better appetite.
Oh I should give her some time time then, she is prob still adjusting to her new environment.I can't wait until i see stools! :)

Orange County
Well good news, my Box Turtle is now eating regularly and pooping! I guess all she needed was to adjust to her new home. I was so happy to see her poop after a week of having her! I almost believed that turtles did not poop, because who knew turtles can hold in their stools for that long! She is now eating her greens as well, Lettuce & Bok Choy, YAY! She's always excited to see me and know when is feeding time :tort::D