Box turtles eating worms, yummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
20120314_02.JPG20120314_03.JPGSo here are the photo's of my turtles eating worms. Budder my three legged turtle was the first to dive in (no surprise there). Owen was next and after I climbed out of the pen the others grabbed a worm and ran.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aren't you afraid you're going to lose that little baby in that big pen?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Wow I didn't even notice the baby until I read Yvonne's comment...

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
emysemys said:
Aren't you afraid you're going to lose that little baby in that big pen?

The little guy always hides in the same place. So far none of the adults have messed with him but if I find he's not doing well I'll bring him back inside.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I would be afraid I would step on him! He really blends in well.

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
nicoleandrocky said:
is that a little baby i see :D:D:D
very nice pictures and boxies :)
Thanks. Last year I had 11 babies and I adopted them all out but one. Bentley is the only little guy left. With the temperatures in the 80's in Arizona he loves being outside. If it gets too cold or hot I'll bring him back in.

supremelysteve said:
I would be afraid I would step on him! He really blends in well.
There's a spot where I have wooden stakes with a heavy canvas material attached. The area holds moisture and has lots of leaves and lose dirt underneath. The little guy loves hiding out under there and 99% of the time that's where he's at. It's a perfect spot and there's a lot of crickets that hang out under there too. The little guy has his own all you can eat buffet.

HonuFonu23

5 Year Member
Glendale, AZ
I had to do a double back on that first pic. He does indeed blend extremely well. I thought it was a big rock. Lol.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
It's ok for a baby to live with adult turtles? I have two boxies, a juvenile with a SCL of 3.25" and a 7 month old hatchling with a SCL of 1.75". I'm afraid to put them together.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
yeah i didnt even see him, until someone else pointed him out :), i too would worry about putting them together what if one wanted to take off an arm or leg as a snack ! EEK

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
turtlemann2 said:
yeah i didnt even see him, until someone else pointed him out :), i too would worry about putting them together what if one wanted to take off an arm or leg as a snack ! EEK

Whoa ... I didn't see him, either, but I would definitely regard him at risk of getting mauled by one of his bigger kin. Box turtles can probably get even more aggressive with each other than tortoises. Crowded baby boxies have been known to bite limbs off, or to even bite a piece out of a clutch mate's head.

I'm glad you're monitoring the situation, but those big ones are obviously much more powerful than the little guy. If they're well-fed and not crowded they might not mess with him, but if they decide to prey on him, he wouldn't stand a chance. I know baby turtles like to hide a lot, but maybe he would come out more if he weren't afraid of them? Maybe I worry too much, but if it were me, I'd probably put him in a separate enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.