Box turtles from the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
If only I could go back in time...I'd give myself a few extra bucks so I wouldn't have had to sell my box turtles.

Had to let a lot of them go to pay the rent after I first got married, then decided to let them all go shortly after that. I keep digging up pictures from time to time, sorry if these are reposts.

turtlee.jpg

moreturts005.jpg

moreturts002.jpg

bigts.jpg

Of course, I had babies all the time. Back then I wasn't too "conservation minded"...I guess you could say...didn't really care to much about breeding them. The adults had free run of my backyard, and during the spring we'd find bunches of babies in our pool. (Never had one die from being in the pool, just so you know :)) They would just float on the surface.

babes.jpg

moreturts004.jpg

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Thats Tragic... did you ever stay in contact with the people that you had sold them too?

I had a similer experiance before i went off to college in HI... I regret it all the time, I did however get one of the 4 back when i happend to find her on CL a few years later but i still miss them :(

Your old boxies were quite nice :(, Dang the Past!!!

I also just liked your FB page, nice looking Indian Stars!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some nice boxies you had. Too bad, that darn rent gets a lot of people. I never had to give up an animal, but sold my class ring to pay rent. Sure regret that. My parents had paid for it and they didn't have a lot of money. It's one of my biggest regrets:(

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They were sold to a local friend, who I have since lost contact with. It has now been almost 8 years.

Thanks, we really like this Indian Stars too. :)

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Yeah. I had to give my old group of boxers away when I was in high school I was sent to live with my aunt and uncle in Brownsville Texas. I had them since I was may be five or six. I understand how you feel.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
They were beautiful. I also had to let all of mine go. My whole yard was one big box turtle garden then. I only kept one, my Ornate who was about 33 years with me when she died last Summer. Starting all over is hard, especially when you think of what you gave away. Two years ago we lost my Dad's box turtle who was well over 60 years old. He just never came up from hibernation. A great loss for me and my sister. :(

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They were beautiful. I too gave mine up many years ago. I had a male gulf coast and a female three toed. I have pics somewhere, but would have to go digging. I regret giving them up too. Now I started over. Guess what I have? A 1.5 year old gulf coast and a 9 month old three toed! Too early to know sex yet though of course.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I really like the turtle with the yellow head in the center of the tub, was that one a female?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes it was. The best looking female I have ever seen. She was with those high orange males and they made some nice looking babies.

Maybe someday the new owner will see these pictures and chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.