Box Turtles in Louisiana Need Homes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnneTKelly

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum today, coming to this venue because I have several box turtles that need good homes. I am not altogether sure what I have--although I believe I have a combination of Gulf Coast and 3-toed box turtles. I know I have both male and female because I have had babies hatching out. I do not want to make any profit, but I also cannot afford to ship. I would appreciate someone informing me of how shipment of box turtles is accomplished. As much as I love turtles (and all creatures), I have a difficult time understanding how this can be safely done.
Thanks for your patience with a newcomer on your forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Anne:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

We have members here from all over the world. You may not have to ship, as there may be some members right there in your town who would love to have your turtles. Where are you?

Turtles and tortoises are shipped every day with no problems. They are packaged up in a little plastic sandwich-type tub with holes in it, and placed in a cardboard box filled with packing peanuts. The box is carefully marked to let the shipping folks know they have to be careful with it.

If it comes down to you shipping your turtles, don't worry, we'll tell you how.

EP429

5 Year Member
Central Texas
Check PMs, my brother keeps Boxies & lives in Louisiana, might can help you out

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hi, Anne! This is Beatrice (Moozillion, on this forum)- we spoke on the phone about your turtles. Welcome!!! So glad you got here- lots of great, caring folks with lots of knowledge!

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Hello. This is William. Beatrice contacted me about you box turtles.

krb1093

5 Year Member
I'm possibly interested, but live in MI. If you can't get rid of them around there let me know. I would pay for shipping and a little extra if interested.

dustee35

10 Year Member!
Hi I live in Ohio and I am interested in adopting your boxies. If you can't find a home for them around you I will pay for the shipping and ive them a really good home. Keep me in mind. Deanna:)

AnneTKelly

5 Year Member
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "check PMs." Would like to hear from your brother if he is interested in box turtles. Thanks very much.

EP429 said:
Check PMs, my brother keeps Boxies & lives in Louisiana, might can help you out

AnneTKelly

5 Year Member
Hello Beatrice! I'm still looking for homes! I don't know about sending Louisiana box turtles up north. Kinda bothers me to think of my "babies" dying or suffering because they are not in their native climate.

Moozilion said:
Hi, Anne! This is Beatrice (Moozillion, on this forum)- we spoke on the phone about your turtles. Welcome!!! So glad you got here- lots of great, caring folks with lots of knowledge!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I recommend you check out the forum section entitled "Enclosures" and the one entitled "Box Turtles." You'll get to see all the advice and experience that people share and you just might be amazed (I know I was) at the remarkable lengths these folks will go to, to ensure safe, healthy, happy homes for their animals. There are certainly some newcomers here, like you- but there are also very experienced and deeply dedicated folks on this forum. By the way, when someone suggests or offers to PM with you, that means "personal message" (or maybe private message). Either way, it means only YOU and the person you're chatting with will see the conversation thread, instead anyone who's on the forum. You access that through the area titled "Messages." There are also Moderators on this forum: especially knowledgeable and technically savvy folks who can help you. They will often let you know they're a moderator.

AnneTKelly

5 Year Member
Thanks, Beatrice!! Your advice is appreciated. I am pinched for time, so I am not able to poke around on the forum to read this and that. One day, I hope my life slows down enough to allow me to do that!!

Moozilion said:
I recommend you check out the forum section entitled "Enclosures" and the one entitled "Box Turtles." You'll get to see all the advice and experience that people share and you just might be amazed (I know I was) at the remarkable lengths these folks will go to, to ensure safe, healthy, happy homes for their animals. There are certainly some newcomers here, like you- but there are also very experienced and deeply dedicated folks on this forum. By the way, when someone suggests or offers to PM with you, that means "personal message" (or maybe private message). Either way, it means only YOU and the person you're chatting with will see the conversation thread, instead anyone who's on the forum. You access that through the area titled "Messages." There are also Moderators on this forum: especially knowledgeable and technically savvy folks who can help you. They will often let you know they're a moderator.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
AnneTKelly said:
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum today, coming to this venue because I have several box turtles that need good homes. I am not altogether sure what I have--although I believe I have a combination of Gulf Coast and 3-toed box turtles. I know I have both male and female because I have had babies hatching out. I do not want to make any profit, but I also cannot afford to ship. I would appreciate someone informing me of how shipment of box turtles is accomplished. As much as I love turtles (and all creatures), I have a difficult time understanding how this can be safely done.

OK…….I am soooo lost, I just replied (or at least I thought I did) to your post Anne, but I don't see what I wrote and this quick message flashed across my screen….AAAAANNNNYYYYWWWWAAAAAYYYYYYY just in case you don't get my reply, I want you to know that I also live in Louisiana, in the city of Mandeville, and we just got through building a turtle/tortoise habitat, so I would so love to help you out by rehoming your turtles with us. Since I am a little challenged when it comes to understanding this forum, please PM me instead if it's not too much trouble. Hope to hear from you sooooooonnnnnn!!!!!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I am very interested in three toed box turtle. Right now I have 2 females, who I keep in an outdoor enclosure during the summer and an indoor enclosure fall, winter and spring. This forum has taught me how to make the perfect indoor enclosure and I am amazed how their personality has shown through.

I am hesitant to ship, but I really want to help. If you deside to ship I would pay you what you needed. I live in Massachusetts.

Also I have lived with one of my box turtles since 1989.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Note to everyone trying to reach Anne: I've been in text contact with her (we both live in Louisiana) and she's having problems with her computer, so please be patient and don't give up! She REALLY wants to get good homes for these turtles.

She especially wants to get them homes in Louisiana if at all possible.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Hi Anne,
I'm shocked that I actually got you the message because I am also a bit confused with this website. I'm at work right now but when I get home I'll send you some pictures. I honestly didn't have to do much to our backyard to make it a habitat because although our yard is all grass and some trees, the fence line that encloses it all is cemented <----its kind of hard to explain what I mean, but you know how most people only cement the area where the fence posts go and in between it's all grass?? well whoever built our home made a narrow "sidewalk-like" all the way around so any tortoise/turtle will be able to walk around freely but they wont be able to dig their way out. Like I said, I'll take pictures when I get home. OH and right now we have 4 baby red-ear sliders and just last night had one 4" slider who needs a home dropped off at my house, so I seem to be well on my way to becoming a true Tortoise/Turtle rescuer YAY MEEEEE!!!!!!! :) Oh and by the way I figured out that "PM me" means "Private Message Me" lol.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
The administrator has specified that all new posts require moderation. You will now be returned to the thread. <--what is that?

In order to help stop spammers, we have a policy in TFO that all new members must have their first five posts approved by a Moderator before they appear on the general forum for all to see. Sorry for the confusion this has caused you.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Jacqui said:
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
The administrator has specified that all new posts require moderation. You will now be returned to the thread. <--what is that?

In order to help stop spammers, we have a policy in TFO that all new members must have their first five posts approved by a Moderator before they appear on the general forum for all to see. Sorry for the confusion this has caused you.

Lol, thank you for explaining, I think I should be embarrassed to say that I would have never guessed…..Look me up in a couple of weeks, I'll be gliding through this forum like a Pro ( I hope!!!!)

bpnnolan

5 Year Member
Hey I live in the new Orleans area might be interested in seeing what you have. Let me know.

KAYA79

5 Year Member
AnneTKelly said:

Anne, I'm looking to adopt a female box turtle and I live in S. Louisiana. Please let me know whether or not you have any still available. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.